New Guy Issues

Bill Sennett

I have owned my 22.5 WSM for two months now and have had 7-8 prior cooks.

I made a batch of Harry Soo rub yesterday and noted two fundamental differences between Harry's Rub and Paul Kirk's
A. Paul Kirk says don't use kosher salt because of granular thickness whereas kosher salt is basic for Harry
B Cumin powder is a basic for Harry whereas it is a small quantity possible addition for Paul

So the cook today was chicken legs which Harry says take off at 175 degrees 60-90 minutes into the cook when your cooking temp range is about 275.

Two problems for me:

1. In the last few days I read a forum posting that said wrapping the bottom of your water pan might be unnecessary so for the first time I did not wrap it today. And when the pit came up to temperature, I smelled something quite different and unfriendly coming out of it. Without having yet checked, I presume that the paint was burning off the bottom of the water pan.

2 I have used only the factory supplied thermometer up to this point in time and decided today that I would use a polder equivalent today with the line running through the open top vent. Knowing that you don't just lay the metal tip on the grates, I remembered that a wine cork might work to keep it elevated. I had one wine cork, inserted the metal end into it, and was dismayed to find out 60 minutes later that my cork was plastic and it had melted.

So two screw ups on my part. There is a clearly a remaining top grate temperature issue for me. Because when I tested one chicken leg exactly 60 minutes after placing it in the pit, it read 190 when it should have come off at 175 as much as 30 minutes later. Clearly I was running hotter than what the Weber factory guage was indicating and this will be a recurrent problem if I do not solve it.

We've all been there. However, the pan is not painted. It is porcelain/ceramic coated. Not sure what the unfriendly smell was unless it was the plastic cork. To hold your thermometer try a cut potato with the cut ( flat) side on the grate and the probe jammed thru it. (Not a wax potato).

Last edited:
My lid thermo is ~50 degrees off from the top grate (according to my maverick)
Sorry man, but your melted synthetic cork made me lol (with you, not at you)

Welcome to the forum Bill...

That cork thing is funny, a great story to start with.

Everyone one of us has had issues with our new WSM's and you will get it figured out. There is a wealth of information on here so look around and you will find ALL the answers you need

As far as salt goes, it's my understanding that course ground salt and kosher salt sticks/clings to the food better, where as common table salt will bounce around and not stay on the food.

The thermometer on my dome lid reads about 30 degrees cooler than the grate temp. I don't pay too much attention to it. I use a Maverick that has a probe that clips to the grate.

Last edited:
Chad - what is your opinion of your Maverick? Another member posted a short time ago that he was fed up with the Maverick because the probes were giving out every six months and he was tired of going back to the company for replacements.

What has been your experience and for how long?

Thanks in advance

Bill

My opinion? It's the best thing since sliced bread ----------- when it works.
My OEM probes crapped out (luckily) during the 90 DAY warranty. Actually it was just one probe, but still. Emailed maverick about the problem (Reading LLL) and told them where & when I bought it. The replied a new probe was on the way. Opened the package and found they replaced both probes with the 6' length. (stock is 3') I kept using the 'good' 3' probe, but that also crapped out. I've been using the 6' probes for a while now and all seems to be well.

There's quite a bit of forum chatter about the 6' probes being 'better' and I happen to agree.
In recap, I simply love it ---- when it works.

Bill, I have a thermoworks with the high heat probe which has heavy cable. I love it. I have three probes, one with the actual probe and 2 with the alligator clip. I also just got a thermo works instant read thermometer. I have had good luck with the 8060 and their customer service seems to be pretty good

Just thought I'd let you know in case you were in the market

Instead of a wine cork, I use the clip off a candy thermometer on my BBQ thermometer. The thermo stem and closed end of the clip go into one of the holes on the top vent of my WSM or 22.5" kettle. Can be a little loose, but it's good enough for my purposes and still allows the hole to "breathe"....

I've had the same Maverick for 5 years and it's still going strong. I use the top vent for the smoker probe. I don't look for an exact temperature, but I just want a reference point

Back