New Guy from Indiana

RobWeird

I've been lurking here for a short time and seen some really neat stuff. Seems there is an interesting group of meat-heads here. I am nearly Fifty now and for the most part just been cooking on gas. I've done some smoking but not what I would consider experienced. I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a few years and it was enough to catch the bug. I really didn't like having to plug in to cook so I upgraded to a Camp Chef propane upright smoker for several years. Better results, but it is still a cheap entry level cooker with very amateur results. I mostly just smoke ribs, wings, ABT's and and occasional pork butt. I also grill on a Weber Spirit gas grill. It is just a 2 burner unit and does just fine for my small family. But I am ready to up my game and have wanted to switch to charcoal for some time now. We are in the process of re-doing our back patio and I figure this is the perfect time to make the switch.

We would really like to make some built-in cooking stations on the patio, so before I make a large investment I decided to pick up a Weber 22 kettle to be sure that is what I want. I really like the Weber Summit Kamado, but that's a pretty big price tag, so for now we will start with the 22 kettle. I've been watching MarketPlace for a few weeks now and finally scored a Gen2 Performer Deluxe that needed some love. I bought it from a young Amish man who had the unit left at one of his rental houses. He was asking $50 but I offered $40 and brought it home. It came with the coal baskets and a well used chimney starter too. The table top is broke, as I understand is pretty normal with these. The wheels are a little worn and the grates were shot. After a heavy de-greasing and scraping the bowl came pretty clean. I've ordered a new aftermarket stainless grate built like the Gourmet setup Weber uses, along with a new igniter and flame tube. Plans are to swap out the wheels for the larger 10" pneumatic and also build a new tabletop to replace the broken one. I've seen a lot of cool mods here and am looking forward to getting this thing rolling. Oh yeah, am also hoping to get my 13yr old son involved in building this unit. Trying to get him off the video controller and learn some fun stuff in the process. No pictures yet, but I'll be sure to take some along the way.

HI Rob, WELCOME to you and your family. You all will love it here. I have posted hundreds of recipes here. If you still can't find anything that you all like, let me know, have a lot more. 🥰

Welcome Rob! If you've been lurking around for a while, I'm sure you've picked up on awesome this community is. Certainly a wealth of knowledge and experience. Sounds like you're off to a good start with that 22" performer. Looking forward to some pictures of your upcoming epic cooks!

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Well if you have a 22" kettle, you could add a WSM 18.5 to your arsenal. Then you have a nice 1 - 2 punch. You could go find one used like I did and go from there. I have since upgraded to the Summit Kamado and it is a stiff price, but works fantastically. But I still have the kettle and WSM and use them occasionally.

Sounds like you’re getting a pretty solid handle on equipment. The outdoor kitchen project is a nice thing if you get it the way you want it. The design is the hard part, I e changed what I want for the last 30 years and I have not made a solid design choice yet!
Welcome to the circus!

Welcome Rob!

Sounds like you've got a project that'll keep you & your son busy for a while. Welcome to the best outdoor cooking forum on the web.

Welcome Rob, your Weber bug will make you a natural around here.
A good performer can do amazing things, the process is fun,rewarding. And very tasty.
Enjoy.

Welcome, Robb, from a fellow Indianan by way of Florida. I think you will enjoy participating in our group, especially since you are already bringing some great ideas. Glad to have you here on TVWBB.

Welcome Rodd from Arizona, looking forward to seeing your toys in action. Hope your son works with you on the projects. Seeing the finish project and cooking your first meal on it is awesome. Again welcome.

Back