New Go Anywhere Charcoal with upgrades

Harold C

TVWBB Member
I've been cooking exclusively on Weber charcoal grills for over 40 years, so when i decided to get a small portable grill for car camping, the only decision was Smoky Joe or Go Anywhere Charcoal. This will ONLY be used for camping and only used for pretty simple grilling (Rib Eye dumped from a zip loc baggie, grilled, and eaten) for one or two people. Top priority was tidy packing and transport in the trunk of my car. So the Go Anywhere was the obivous choice:

WGA1_zpscaa6acaf.jpg

Of course, I had to customize it a little bit. I can confirm that the tool holder handles fit the WGA:

WGA2_zps60e91692.jpg

And, after using cast iron grates on my Performers for the last 20 years, I had to upgrade the portable with the Craycort cooking grates:

WGA3_zps29ee705a.jpg

And the short length Weber utensils that fit under the cover for transport:

WGA4_zps854da0dd.jpg

And, the mini chimney that holds a WGA size load of charcoal and, thanks to the split grates, can be transported inside the grill:

WGA5_zpsf2181478.jpg

But, I'll probably stick with the tools transported in the grill and stick the chimney in with the charcoal in a Kingsford Kaddy Mini:

WGA6_zps694c0099.jpg

WGA7_zps13423a06.jpg

Should be a heck of a portable camping grill. I'm impressed with the quality. Typical Weber product. Can't wait to fire it up for a nice 16 ounce boneless ribeye and some grilled zucchini squash. No muss, no fuss.

Nice looking grill. I have the exact same thing including the CI grate and the short weber utensils. I like the idea of the mini kaddy for the mini chimney...gonna need to get myself one of those Kaddys.

Only thing you need now is to add a thermometer with a bezel which completes the WGA very nicely:

I thought about it, but a thermometer doesn't add that much for simple grilling. I've learned to use plenty of charcoal and make sure that my fires are always plenty hot. Not sure I want to give up the clearance between the grate and the lid. It does look really cool, though!

Last edited:
Looks a heck of a lot nicer than my Go Anywhere Gas (I wish I'd have gone with a Q series). I use a Smokey Joe Gold for portable.... your setup looks great though. I'd definitely enjoy that.

Nice information. I have a set of the short Weber utensils and will use your method of transport. I took my Go Anywhere to a local lake and will post shortly. How much were the Craycort grates?

Nice information. I have a set of the short Weber utensils and will use your method of transport. I took my Go Anywhere to a local lake and will post shortly. How much were the Craycort grates?

They are about $55 shipped from amazon which is cheaper than buying from the craycort site

Back