New from NorCal with a recent free gas grill in need of restoration

Short answer................no. Reason is the 1000 is a deep fire box grill and the other is a shallow box. The spacing of the valves is different and where they sit is different. Not only that Weber changed the actual valves themselves between the 2 and you can't even unscrew the valves and switch them to the other manifold. Ask me how I know all this LOL

Short answer................no. Reason is the 1000 is a deep fire box grill and the other is a shallow box. The spacing of the valves is different and where they sit is different. Not only that Weber changed the actual valves themselves between the 2 and you can't even unscrew the valves and switch them to the other manifold. Ask me how I know all this LOL

Thanks. I had read about the firebox differences, but wasn't sure if the manifold/valves etc would all fit across.

I wish I had the time to buy something like this grill on craigslist, and use it's longer frame for the rebuild. I could convert to LP (and drop the side burner) and have more work space. That'll have to be a long-term project goal.

Converting from NG to LP is not as easy as the other way. It requires a new manifold whereas if you know what you're doing it does not require a new manifold to go LP to NG. As for removing the side burner. Me? I would not. Those side burners are really quite useful. I use the dickens out of mine. So many times I like having it because I do not want to leave the grill or sometimes I will make something in the summer that will make a lot of steam (i.e. using my pressure cooker) and in the summer when I am running ac I don't want to contribute to the humidity load in the house.

Converting from NG to LP is not as easy as the other way. It requires a new manifold whereas if you know what you're doing it does not require a new manifold to go LP to NG. As for removing the side burner. Me? I would not. Those side burners are really quite useful. I use the dickens out of mine. So many times I like having it because I do not want to leave the grill or sometimes I will make something in the summer that will make a lot of steam (i.e. using my pressure cooker) and in the summer when I am running ac I don't want to contribute to the humidity load in the house.

Thanks, I thought that if you replace everything with those from a propane grill, then it would be fine? I'm proposing that the knobs, manifold. valve, hose, regulator etc are all taken from the propane grill to a gasser. The removal of the side burner would be to 1) add working space, and 2) the manifold from a 3 burner probably doesn't have a connection for the side burner? (or perhaps it does and it comes plugged?).

For now, it's a pipe dream. First priority is getting the donor grill frame finished and moving across the best parts to make one good grill.

Thanks,

The manifolds have a side burner connection. If you have a side burner installed it's connected there, if not it's normally plugged.

Not all the manifolds have the plugged connection for the side burner. A few years ago my dad (who has a Genesis 2000 bought new in 1993) saw my grill after I had put on the side burner and said "boy I'd like something like that". Well father's day was coming up and wouldn't you know someone had parted out a Genesis 3000. So I picked up the burners, manifold, side burner and crossover for a whopping $30 delivered to my dad's door. I went to install the fitting on dad's manifold and no place to put it. Thankfully the manifold I had just bought was an LP so in it went. Oddly my older Genesis II had the plugged opening for the side burner. Go figure

Oddly my older Genesis II had the plugged opening for the side burner. Go figure
That's right, my 1991 Genesis 2 has a fitting for optional side burner. In fact, I seem to recall that this was a feature, that they promoted the idea that you could upgrade and add the side burner later.

The green grill is at my house, and being used. I'll check it today if the temperature drops down from the low 100F. The red grill is at my in-laws, so I'll check that next week when I'm next there. Hopefully one of the manifolds has the blanked off port, to give the option in the future. The more I think about it, the more I think I should buy the side burner NG grill so I have a spare NG setup and the wider cart :)

Not all the manifolds have the plugged connection for the side burner. ...

I had a minute the other night to check the manifold on the green platinum grill, and there does appear to be what I think is the port for a 4th burner.

It's not that I want or don't want a 4th burner, it's more that I definitely want more space. I'm looking to mount a second pop up shelf this week, and if that works, then I will transfer both to the final grill.

I was in a real rush this week, and got some work done on the donor grill. The crux of the matter is I painted the lid end caps and cook box, but grabbed the wrong paint from the garage. I was rushing, and had the gloss high heat, so I went to swap it in the garage, and grabbed what I thought was mat high heat, but it was mat high performance. So will it all flake off? I must have given the high heat to my father inlaw when I was trying to give him high performance.

I was planning on roughing up and degreasing the frame (I water blasted it yesterday) and painting it tomorrow. Then will do the re-assembly. I don't see an easy way to take off the paint, so think I might just run with it and sand blast it in a couple of years.

Random finds when taking the grill apart and power washing and simple greening it.

1) the cross over tube is broken, so hope I can just get a new one of them
2) the manifold is not held to the box the same as my green one, instead of wing nuts, it has bolts with thumb turns on them.
3) the red lid has sort of small black flecks in the paint that I can see now, and some fine scratches.

Anyways, just want to get it going and ditch the green one before summer is over.

All the colors have those black flecks. For some reason it just shows more on the red. You may find Weber not making that c/over tube any more. I know they quite making them for similar age Summit grills (like my 450) though I think there are some aftermarket ones available. Some had bolts with wing nuts some had bolts that threaded into the fire box with finger holds it's luck of the draw. The ones that thread into the fire box if you can get them out I recommend getting stainless steel replacements and when reinstalling put some never seize on the threads

All the colors have those black flecks. For some reason it just shows more on the red. You may find Weber not making that c/over tube any more. I know they quite making them for similar age Summit grills (like my 450) though I think there are some aftermarket ones available. Some had bolts with wing nuts some had bolts that threaded into the fire box with finger holds it's luck of the draw. The ones that thread into the fire box if you can get them out I recommend getting stainless steel replacements and when reinstalling put some never seize on the threads

Thanks, good to know the red lid is about average then. Got the frame painted today, and will bolt it all back together in the next few days. It's not a complete detailed rebuild, just about what I did on the green grill, but this one doesn't have a rusted frame.

Back