New England overnighter

Mark Rosen

TVWBB Member
I'm planning my first overnighter for this weekend. 2 Boston Butts. Night-time temps in New England are expected to be in the Low 40's. Am I making a mistake? Any pointers?

Load up the charcoal ring with as much unlit as you can before placing the lit on top. Shield the cooker from wind or breeze. All things considered, the ambient temp won't be as much of a problem as running out of fuel or having wind suck the heat out.

Follow the advice from Doug. You won't have any problems. You are not making a mistake. Lower temps = Increased fuel usage. You can easily make it overnight till morning in temps even colder than low 40's. If you can't keep temps up in the morning, just add more fuel!

-Matt

Have no fear....just do it!!! My first cook after I got my WSM was a butt cook in January for the superbowl. I had to shovel snow off the porch to set the WSM down on. You will have no problems....trust the WSM.

Outside temps aren't your enemy the wind is. I have had R2D2 chugging along with the outside temps in the teens. The worst part about that is walking outside to check it out, make adjustments, etc.

Winter is also a great time to smoke cheese.

Howdy neighbor. I'm up in Rockport and I've used the WSM through 2 winters so far. I was smoking a couple of butts during that storm we had 2 years ago that dumped about 30"s of snow on us. I've also done overnighters with temps as low at 5 degrees. I noticed that once you get below 20 the fuel doesn't last as long. When it's that cold I make sure to load the ring up just before I nod off. It hasn't failed me yet.

The wind is a different story. A good cheap way to combat the wind is to get one of those hot water heater insulating blankets and loosely wrap it around the smoker. This helps with both the wind and the low temps.

Back