New CI Grates (from Stok)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Stanek

TVWBB Fan
A few weeks back, I saw that the grates for the Stok grill at Home Depot fit quite nicely in the Weber... perfectly in fact. I called them and placed an order but was told (as I also read here) that they were backordered until Sept or maybe even December. I just put my order in anyway since I wasn't in any hurry and didn't really see that great of an alternative since every other CI grate has it's issues. These, however, may be the winner.

They come in two pieces - a nice sized center section comes out and can be replaced with several different inserts.

StokGrate1.jpg

To answer the million dollar question... yes... the Weber Chim fits perfectly. The keyed notch for the insert allows the handle to clear perfectly... a calculated and smart decision on their part.

StokGrate2.jpg

It looks good in the kettle... fits perfectly. I just got back late last night from nearly a two week vacation so I haven't messed with it yet with the fire, but there seems more than enough room for you to be able to arrange your coals through the center insert.

StokGrate3.jpg

I'm not a CI grate expert, but they seem to be nice quality and sturdy. Not any flex or anythng like that. I'll post an update when I get a chance to fire it up.

I think total cost was just under $70 with shipping here to FL for both pieces which are sold seperately.

Now if they would just sell you one of the handle tools for getting the center section out. Nice pics by the way.

Well doesn't that just figure.
icon_eek.gif

Oh well... it's the way it goes I guess. The early adopter usually gets hosed one way or the other. Well... I got them at least.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Very cool! Anyone know how the opening will line up with the burner of a Performer?

This post just sealed it. At Home Depot dot com it states it is an online only. I was at about 6 Home Depots today and they only had some of the inserts. Shipping to me in Florida cost 6.64 and $2.80 for sales tax. If you have a Home Depot in your state you will pay taxes. Not bad for just under $50. Should have it within 8 days. Cool.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kendall Cook:
Now if they would just sell you one of the handle tools for getting the center section out. Nice pics by the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always get one of These? He's a real good BBQ guy.

Hey Steve, what kind of CI grate is that on the Thirdhand site? It looks like it's one piece.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kendall Cook:
Now if they would just sell you one of the handle tools for getting the center section out. Nice pics by the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always get one of These? He's a real good BBQ guy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks like a great solution for holding up the WSM lid to keep grease rings off the patio, deck, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Not sure Shaun. Maybe the Lodge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Steve, I think it could be a Lodge or may even be one for a BGE since there is one pictured. I just haven't seen a CI grate for a BGE. Maybe i'm just out of the ceramic loop.

Hey Mike, I heated them after my rotis pork belly attempt this evening... I tossed burger on there for my daughter. I thought it worked great. It made nice thick sear marks, not too far apart like some other greates I've seen and it doesn't leave an odd pattern like the one that comes in four pie shaped pieces. Granted it was just a burger on left over coal, but it heated well, heated quickly and sizzled nicely when the burger hit it. I'm happy with it. I'm not at all disappointed about the purchase. I was the Depot this morning and almost bought a couple inserts. The chick one looks like it might actually be useful.

I wouldn't hesitate to get these Mike. I've been looking for awhile and it's really the first set that addresses some of the issues that others have talked about. They're good to go.

My set just arrived today. The packaging could be a little better. The box I don't believe was made for UPS. It came intact and strait but the box looks like it was to Pakistan and back. Fits real nice like Chris says. Can't wait til the weekend, thinking steak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Hey Steve, what kind of CI grate is that on the Thirdhand site? It looks like it's one piece. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a Big Green Egg CI grate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back