New Build prep (HM4.3\A-a-D) (Questions about hardware)

TomDaris

New member
Hey all, been reading the forums a few months now and was hoping it's ok to ask a few questions here about hardware. (Probes\Thermocouple\MountingPipe)

First off this is mostly for my WSM 18.5, but later plan on maybe a 2nd damper for my Kettle. I also plan on the "Cat Dish" design being I am not ready (Yet) to start drilling holes into my smoker. ;) My 4.3 (Soldered +Fan and PSU)) shipped today and I started printing my Adapt-a-Damper last night. I already had a few PIs and SD cards laying around and found an SG90 Servo in my Arduino kit.

I still need to get the Home Depot parts and the Probes\thermocouple. That is where my question comes in...

What do people recommend for the probes and thermocoupler? (Most of the treads are pretty old so wanted to see if anything changed)

Also for the 1" pipe fitting, what are people using? I saw the 1" threaded to Conduit adapter but then the pipe is only listed in 10ft length, is there other pipes people are using that are shorter?

Thanks, as soon as parts get here I am sure I will have more questions. :)
Tom

PS: Thanks to all the Devs and Testers that made this possible.
 

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The best list of probes is in the wiki: HeaterMeter Probes. I like the Thermoworks ProSeries for the thermistor probes. I like straight because they're shorter, but I do not discount the right angle probes ability to stay out of the way.

For thermocouples, I have a hard time justifying the price of the models that Thermoworks sells. I like Auber Instruments's models, which run a quarter of the cost. Maybe they're not as durable or something, but I've had one outside for many years now and it still works great.

The 1" pipe fitting, to fit the Adapt-A-Damper is a 1" pipe nipple from the iron pipe plumbing section of the hardware store ($2-3), secured with a 1" EMT conduit nut from the electrical section ($1).
 

TomDaris

New member
Just got the update that package will be here Saturday. :) Also, digging deeper on the probes I see that the iGrill probes work and that is what I am using now. So at least I can do some testing over the weekend until I decide on Thermocouple.

Adapt-a-Damper all printed as of lunchtime today.
(Will reprint the one part that is messed up after printing case)
1600375560948.png

Start printing case soon, but running out of that color (Silver PETG) so may have to run to MicroCenter.
 

TomDaris

New member
Brand new pre-soldered HeaterMeter, just hooked to RaspberryPi fresh out of the mailbox.

Any clue on what would cause this display issue???
1600720337607.png

EDIT>> May have found the issue...
1600721704570.png
 
Last edited:

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Wow that's crazy, that's a bad LCD and there's nothing you can do to fix it (that I've found) short of replacing the LCD. The crazy part was that it passed testing here before I shipped it. That's only the second time I've seen a display do that, and the first that I've personally soldered and tested. I'll have a new LCD/Button board assembly out to you tomorrow, but in the meantime you can still use the HeaterMeter even though the display is all wonkus. I'll send an email with the tracking number tomorrow when I get it boxed up.
 

TomDaris

New member
Wow that's crazy, that's a bad LCD and there's nothing you can do to fix it (that I've found) short of replacing the LCD. The crazy part was that it passed testing here before I shipped it. That's only the second time I've seen a display do that, and the first that I've personally soldered and tested. I'll have a new LCD/Button board assembly out to you tomorrow, but in the meantime you can still use the HeaterMeter even though the display is all wonkus. I'll send an email with the tracking number tomorrow when I get it boxed up.
Thanks man,
I am going to DM you some further info.

thanks again,
Tom

PS: Up and running with my iGrill probe to test in Headless mode. (Thanks again)
 
Last edited:

KeithC

New member
Wow that's crazy, that's a bad LCD and there's nothing you can do to fix it (that I've found) short of replacing the LCD. The crazy part was that it passed testing here before I shipped it. That's only the second time I've seen a display do that, and the first that I've personally soldered and tested. I'll have a new LCD/Button board assembly out to you tomorrow, but in the meantime you can still use the HeaterMeter even though the display is all wonkus. I'll send an email with the tracking number tomorrow when I get it boxed up.
Shoutout to @Bryan Mayland for doing this. Glad someone still believes in good customer service!
 

TomDaris

New member
Replacement parts came today and also picked up almost everything I need to hook it to the grill. For now I am going "Dog Bowl" into Copper into Adapt-a-damp. I also got the Cat5e jack and verified the wiring all works and made a few minor adjustments to settings after setting open\close servo settings. I have it set for the fan to only start at 33% but I may change that.

last part I am missing and has been actually hard to find is the dog bowl. Most I am finding have the rubber bottom and I figure that would not like the temps. On Pet Supply Plus web page they show ones (low stock) with no rubber bottom so may have to take a trip up there. I will get some pics when I get the bowl, I thought I had one in garage but was not able to find it.

Thanks again @Bryan Mayland for shipping the replacement parts so fast.
 

TomDaris

New member
First cook going on.. i took some pics of last stages and the dogbowl\copper hookups.
Thanks again for everyone that worked on all this for helping make this happen. :)
1601235200940.png
 
Last edited:

Top