New batch of bacon

Raleigh W.

TVWBB Member
I was at BJ's last week grabbing some things for my wife and I always stroll through the meat section when I'm there. They happened to have a few pork bellies so I grabbed a 6 pounder. Mixed up the cure and got it into the fridge on Saturday the 26th. Flipped the bag each day until Friday, when I took it out and rinsed it off. Then back into the fridge uncovered overnight. On Saturday the 5th I fired up my WSM using Jealous Devil lump and my ATC set for 175*. I put it on at 10:30 am and it came off around 5 pm, at 147*. Wrapped it in foil and straight into the freezer. After 2 hours I pulled it out, sliced it and vacuum sealed 7 or 8 strips per bag. I got 12 bags plus some chunks for green beans later. I didn't get any photos of the cook itself but here's a pic of me slicing it. The second pic is after frying some up on Sunday.

slicing.pngfried.png

I need well all of it.
Slicer, 175, the right ingredients, freezer, fridge space, and well I do have a lot of pork belly.

pretty dang expert cook! now just need a bloody maria with one of those crispy strips you got there.

I made my first ever batch of bacon last weekend. I only had to slice the first pound by hand before realizing a slicer was in order, so I hit up the Marketplace and scored a nice used Globe G10 for a deal. Between the expense of the slicer, smoke generator, curing seasoning, wood chips, pork belly, etc I’ve calculated my current edible bacon expense at about $170 per pound. Seems about right for any project of mine...but that bacon sure is tasty!

I did a batch of bacon the other week.
Today the end cuts of the smoked bacon went into my split pea soup as a supplement.
I can’t wait to try some on other things like beans.
The end cuts are so darn flavorful.

Back