NEW AND IMPROVED WSM !!!!

Hi everyone. If you new that your comments and ideas would be read by the folks at Weber for a new and improved WSM, what would they be?
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

I'd like to see an easy ash disposal. Some type of drawer. A 22.5 would be nice, but for small pieces of meat, you have to heat up more space. If it got bigger I would still buy one. The WSM system works for me.

Tim,
I got so excited when I saw this post.

I would like to see the following.

22.5" for sure
A nice set of locking casters on the bottom legs
Color options
Some type of chrome exhaust stack
two more racks
exteral fill for the waterpan
a major overhaul on the door and knob.
insulated if possible?
holes for probes
not such large spacing on the charcoal grate
larger waterpan
handles on the outsied of the main chamber to lift.

Thats all for now,
Rick

For sure a better door and knob and I do like the idea of handles, it sure would make lifting the chamber a whole bunch easier. Maybe add some NFL or MLB emblems on them, heck we're all pretty much sports junkies.

For me it has to be 22.5", with outside handles, a better fitting door and gromet holes for lid thermo and extra temp probes in the mid section!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Tim,

... external fill for the waterpan ...

Thats all for now,
Rick
Whoa. That sounds like such an easy & obvious mod - metal flex tube, a funnel and a cork.

Has anyone ever attempted to do this?

Jim

considering that many don't use water i'm wondering about the real need. also i kinda like the simplicity and the option of adding what i want without paying big bucks for stuff i don't want/need.

22.5 Yes
Better door and knob, for those who use them.

Other than that, I kinda like to make the mods of my choice, thats what makes it mine. Affordability and quality of product it puts out goes without saying, too many upgrades would perhaps drive the price out of range for some.

Just my .02.

I've seen recently that in some parts of the country people are paying $5/lb for baby backs. I think a few coupons for ribs and beef would be a nice touch along with the mods above.

considering that many don't use water i'm wondering about the real need. also i kinda like the simplicity and the option of adding what i want without paying big bucks for stuff i don't want/need.

100% agree. Kind of like when you buy a harley. You get the base model and customize it to your liking/personality.

I would like a 22.5 and racks closer together than the current wsm and a therm in the lid. Maybe even the clay pot mod that many are doing. That is getting close to personality mentioned above though.

I already have a 22.5 inch smoker "Magnum" that has 5 racks. I got the plans for the magnum and made a couple of modifications. I had a friend finish the second one not long ago and picked up another 22.5 one touch silver on clearance.

If Weber would come out with 22.5 I would definately have one of those puppies.

Chris went to a trade show back in the winter and gave a report on some changes coming for weber. New colors and such. I can't remember how he worded it but as I recall the guy mentioned some changes to the wsm but wouldn't outright answer if they will build a 22.5. I have had my fingers crossed ever since. I can't wait til spring to find out. If they have a 22.5 in the line up I will definately be using that one touch silver I just bought as a grill.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Tim,
... external fill for the waterpan ...
Rick
Whoa. That sounds like such an easy & obvious mod - metal flex tube, a funnel and a cork.
Has anyone ever attempted to do this?
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use a 1 gallon juice container and a section of 1.5" or 2" PVC. Take the door off, pour water through the pipe into the pan. Put the door back on.

Since going to an ECB Piedmont pan with water, I don't need to add water during the cook.

I think the only thing I would suggest is the 22.5", OR keep it the same size and simply have an optional unit that had a center section about 30% taller to accomodate a third grate.

I agree with Jeff and Dino. I like the fact that it's simple and you can customize it to your liking as you determine you what you need and don't need (I'm always up for getting out the power tools
icon_smile.gif
).

Having said that, a 22.5 would be intriguing.

to reiterate what others have said:

-therm in lid (like performer)
-better fitting door/knob
-higher capacity water pan

possibly handles for center and lower sections too...
just the basics,nothing fancy.... although I did chuckle at the "chrome exhaust stack" suggestion...thats a good one

A lot of the suggested mods would add to the cost and thus the price, along with markup. I don't think I'd want the higher price that would go along with any of the suggestions.

What it boils down to is this: the kind of folks who buy smokers love to tinker and mod their equipment, no matter what features come with it. So it would seem to me it is best to just keep it as is, and let everyone do their thing.

Back