New 4.3/ PI Zero W build problems

DylanNC

TVWBB Member
Finally got it all together, downloaded the image flashed the card. plug it in and the green and yellow LEDs come on but nothing else happens, been sitting now for about 15 minutes. 4.3 built with the PI Zero W, any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting. I have adjusted the potentiometer, and get 1 row of black squares on the LCD screen.

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Honor Circle
Watch the LEDs on the Pi to make sure it is booting. On the Zero, the green LED will blink like crazy as the kernel loads, then blink fast (pre-init), then more slowly (services starting and initial setup), then finally go steady (usually off). The whole process will take about a minute. If the LED just blinks constantly from power on, then make sure you downloaded the proper image. I just grabbed the Snapshot for the Pi Zero W and verified it is working with my Pi Zero W.

If it does that and still doesn't do anything, then you'll need to start debugging the HeaterMeter board, starting with checking your 3.3V power at the ATmega chip:

DylanNC

TVWBB Member
I download the snapshot and that didn't do anything, started checking voltages, no voltage on the middle leg of the P-MOSFET, no power at BFB on the ATmega chip or along that whole line. Not sure where to go from here. I checked all the solder connections, they looked good, checked to make sure I didn't put the wrong part in the wrong location, it appears all the parts are in the correct locations.

Last edited:

DylanNC

TVWBB Member
Anyone have any idea what I need to trouble shoot this projecct. I ordered a new board and parts yesterday, maybe this one will go together without any problems.

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
Test your power at the power supply and trace until it is no longer present. Input 12VDC, then 5VDC out of the OKI DC-DC board, then 3.3V out of the small regulator IC. Hard to tell what the issue is from what you are saying, could be bad solder joint, could be a short (solder bridge), could be a bad regulator or mistakenly installed mosfet where the 3.3V regulator goes... that is a common mistake 'cause they look exactly alike... or even a part you forgot to install... Tracing the power from the source is the best way to go, at least that is informative to others that may be able to help you here.