new 26.5 kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another factor that affects price is volume. Weber sells a zillion 22" kettles each year, and cost per unit goes down when you pump out that many units. I assume the 27" kettle won't sell as well as the 22", so cost per unit will be higher in part because of that, not just because of materials, additional square inches of cooking surface, etc. It's going to be a more expensive cooker to manufacture, package, and ship.

Konrad's point that runnning one 26.5" kettle will require less fuel than running multiple smaller kettles is a legitimate one. Thus, I agree that the larger kettle might make sense for grillers who very frequently cook meals that require the extra cooking surface. For those who only occasionally require all that real estate for large cooks, I maintain that buying an extra kettle (or three) is the way to go.

The use of multiple kettles also allows a griller to vary his/her use of wood smoke for different food items (or different diners) in a single meal.

I also understand what Chris A. is saying about Weber's reasons for wanting to CHARGE a premium; I'm not sure that they are considerations that would make customers more willing to PAY a premium.

Just to be clear...I didn't say they WANT to charge a premium. My point was that it's a fact of business that as you make more of a given item, your fixed costs are spread across more units, thus you can offer a lower price as production volume increases.

Stamp-out 10,000 27" kettles and your price will be $X, stamp-out 100,000 and your price will be $X minus some amount.

For $300 you could buy 10 smokey joes and give yourself more cooking surface than a ranch kettle.

Seriously though, people have been wanting the 26 inch kettle to return for years... and Weber is bringing it back. Yes - $300 - $400 is a bit pricey, but at least it gives people the option of purchasing one again. This grill with give people added capacity/versatility over the 22" without going all the way up to a ranch kettle.

Just a thought but maybe if Weber phased out the 22.5" kettle and made the 26.5 " standard size, the price difference may be not too bad as they'll sell more of them. It won't happen overnight untill they get rid of current stock of 22.5's but eventually it'll be just the 26.5 inch kettle with original design. I really can't see them charging too much premium difference otherwise people will not even look at them.
I'd say maybe $50-80 extra.

What do you all think? Should the kettle become a standard 26.5 incher or having the choice of 2 sizes 22.5 and 26.5?

You definetly need a choice...18-22-26. The 26 is just too big for the average cooker. Most people will not use that much room or want on there patio. Its more directed to the die hard cookers and addicts like ourselves.

I agree, keep the 18 22 and 26. Retiring the 22 would be a huge mistake - it's the Weber icon. I believe that you'll see the 26" kettle discounted in the $299 range. That is still a premium over the $150 OTG - but if the OTG get's the same upgrades as the 26 kettle and WSM (heat shields, thermometer) then you might be paying a bit more for it as well.

The 26" is definitely targeted towards the people that are either currently dragging out a second kettle to cook on or considering it - on a regular basis. I do this constantly when cooking for only 5 or 6t people - grilling meet and veggies takes up space and I hate having to do it in shifts. Thed 26" definitely provides the additional cooking surface to allow multiple heat zones/area - I'll be able to bring everything off the grill at once...
icon_smile.gif

Couldn't agree more.....the 22inch works fine for a family of 4 , but have additional family over for a meal and your grilling in shifts hoping the first wave isn't cold by the time your all done with phase 2 and sitting down to eat.

When I do steaks I like to Sear over extremely hot coals and then move them off the coals to finish cooking.

Try this with 4 20oz Ribeyes, they take up over half the grill.

Sure I can always adjust my cooking styles, but the extra grill space will be very nice.

DSCF5248.JPG

Welcome to the site. Nice photo.
I agree the 22.5" is perfect for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids) but I don't think that a human that can consume 20oz (!) of beef + sides is the norm.
I don't think your going to fit 4+ corns and 4+ spuds with that kill even on a 26".
I'd think the Ranch would be the perfect grill for the out of the ordinary group.

Originally posted by Mike Neiner:
Couldn't agree more.....the 22inch works fine for a family of 4 , but have additional family over for a meal and your grilling in shifts hoping the first wave isn't cold by the time your all done with phase 2 and sitting down to eat.

When I do steaks I like to Sear over extremely hot coals and then move them off the coals to finish cooking.

Try this with 4 20oz Ribeyes, they take up over half the grill.

Sure I can always adjust my cooking styles, but the extra grill space will be very nice.
DSCF5248.JPG

Do you think Weber will make the 26 inch kettle in the performer model? I realy love my 22 inch one but would love to have a 26 in.Performer. Mike

Mike, I haven't heard anything about a "big" Performer, but I agree - it would nice
icon_wink.gif

David: It's funny.. the gray-haired guy to the left dragging the Ranch Kettle is yours truly
icon_biggrin.gif

Steven Raichlen visited Weber Denmark on september 2, and did 2 shows - I was part of the kitchen team and made ribs, PP and other stuff under his supervision. I also looked after 3 Ranch Kettles, 2 Summit650's and 3 OTG's - busy day
icon_cool.gif

I like the idea of a bigger kettle and also the bigger WSM's, but what - was I the only one who noticed (or cared) that on page 29 of the url Chris posted that there's a 22.5 cast iron cooking grate shown that apparently is built so that you can add charcoal? Definitely worth looking into IMHO. I currently have a BGE 18" that I bought and just seasoned. But - if I could get a nice one like the one shown that will sit right into the kettle without having to sit on the wire rack - AND allows me to add fuel, then that would be the ticket, and something that replaces the CI grate Weber used to sell!

I'm definitely going to look into it further to see if I can source one.

Yes Morten...thanks for the picks!

This one was one of my favorites...everyone should go and look at these.

See the green, white, and gold kettles behind Morten?
icon_smile.gif

Also...I was just reading a thread on searing steaks over chimney starters...in the picture, looks like Morten has the set-up for that!...
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert:
See the green, white, and gold kettles behind Morten?
I think it's a very pale green. Didn't William Sonoma sell something similar for a while? Weber does these custom colors for WS and Crate & Barrel.

And the "gold" is copper, same as the Genesis copper gas grill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The green OTG is called "lime" and is easily available in Denmark.
Have a look here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back