New 22 WSM

Paul M. FL

Hi everyone,

I pulled the trigger on a new 22'' this past weekend. I wanted to overhaul my smoker game, and I almost ended up getting a pellet smoker for ease of use. Living in Florida, and very close to the Gulf of Mexico, I'm very partial to Weber's products as rust occurs on any non-stainless metal almost instantaneously where I live. And SS just slows down the rust... a little. So I decided to go with something simpler. And more reliable. And something that has the Weber porcelain enamel, which does very well here (I have a Weber gas grill).

I also wanted to be able to smoke brisket, and I have to go to Sam's Club to get packers. Publix doesn't have them (they have brisket flats). The packers at Sam's Club run on the big side, 16-18 lbs. Since all I can get are extra large packers... I went with the 22. I'm not sure if this is typical, but I noticed Sam's Club carries select packers in their primary meat section, which they price at $2.34/lb. In their premium meat cooler, they have prime packers at $2.94/lb. They do not carry choice (except for brisket flats).

I got a FireBoard to monitor temperature. I realized after I bought it that they sell a protective case ($55!!). I'm afraid I might need it. Humidity, condensation, dew, and rain (as well as heat) are the norm around here. If someone has experience with this, please let me know. In the future I may also consider getting a fan to control temperature.

Any advice is helpful. I'm looking forward to getting started. I know I'll have a lot to learn!

Hey, Paul, welcome! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new WSM22, sounds like you aren't new to the BBQ game, so the learning curve should be pretty simple. I think for $.60/lb difference, Prime sounds like the option to me! :)

I don't have any FireBoard experience, so I'll let others chime in.

Tons of great content here, and helpful folks, so ask any questions you might run into!

Rich

Hey, Paul, welcome! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new WSM22, sounds like you aren't new to the BBQ game, so the learning curve should be pretty simple. I think for $.60/lb difference, Prime sounds like the option to me! :)

I don't have any FireBoard experience, so I'll let others chime in.

Tons of great content here, and helpful folks, so ask any questions you might run into!

Rich

Thanks Rich. I've got some BBQ experience! But with a propane smoker. It was difficult to dial in a stable temperature. And it rusted. Hopefully that will all get better with a WSM.

Welcome, Paul.

If you can return the FireBoard, you might consider it. A waterproof item will serve you far better in Florida unless you are cooking under a pavillion. I have a waterproof InkBird that I am very happy with. With brisket cooks being pretty long, you'd better be prepared for some rain.

Number 1 tips; let that WSM run without too much fidgeting. Use minion method for lighting, bury your wood chunks so they burn slower throughout the cooks, and only use about 20 coals to start your minion in your center hole. Start with your upper vent 100% open and the bottoms around 50%; don't micromanage it. Within 10-15 degrees of your target is fine and very small incremental changes to those bottom vents will produce a 10 degree swing pretty easily.

When it gets to a happy place, leave it alone. They hold temperature extremely well for a long time.

Welcome, Paul.

If you can return the FireBoard, you might consider it. A waterproof item will serve you far better in Florida unless you are cooking under a pavillion. I have a waterproof InkBird that I am very happy with. With brisket cooks being pretty long, you'd better be prepared for some rain.

Number 1 tips; let that WSM run without too much fidgeting. Use minion method for lighting, bury your wood chunks so they burn slower throughout the cooks, and only use about 20 coals to start your minion in your center hole. Start with your upper vent 100% open and the bottoms around 50%; don't micromanage it. Within 10-15 degrees of your target is fine and very small incremental changes to those bottom vents will produce a 10 degree swing pretty easily.

When it gets to a happy place, leave it alone. They hold temperature extremely well for a long time.
The inkbird looks interesting - thanks for the heads up. I'll have to think about it. It looks like the one you have is IPx5, the new WiFi one is IPx3. I would think IPx3 would be good enough for outdoor cooking.

Not to poo-poo the fireboard or the Inkbird, but I use a heatermeter on my WSM. for weather proofing I have it in a plastic case from home depot that was probably about 5$. The cover over hangs the side so all that was needed was a little knife work to allow the wire out.

Paul congratulations on the new WSM, I'm sure you will have no issues getting it dialed in. I just acquired an 18" last week, and it's already proven itself a fantastic cooker.

I haven’t used that fireboard. Just a thermoworks Smoke. When I lived in Florida, I just put a tailgate tent over it and kept it off the ground. That worked for me. Keep an eye out for smaller briskets. I feel like the go quickly. Also, get to know the Publix butchers. I never had a problem getting something when I asked. Even Tri Tip!

Back