New 18.5

DaveMc

TVWBB Member
First time owner of a WSM, getting ready to fire it up and burn it in

12718217_10208743609728517_5996289610189404682_n.jpg

What's going to be your first cook?

Don't forget to take pictures and share.

Right Now, I am just burning it in with some fatty bacon. First cook will be butts for pulled pork, I am comfortable with that and they are pretty forgiving. When I get used to how it burns, then i want to learn ribs and brisket........really looking forward to being able to do a good brisket

@Vincent, thanks for the info.....well, it is already fired up so will let it burn hot and quick

Added some wood to my burn to check for smoke leakage, I am getting way more coming out my door that the upper vent. I am assuming that the gasket kit sold is worth buying at this point, any recommendations??

12439120_10208745017803718_3598970306685554659_n.jpg

Don't worry about the smoke at the door. It's pretty normal. Just bend the door to fit as best you can, then relax and have a beer. :)

If the door seems straight enough, check the door opening for mild bumps. I had to mash a few down by hand on my 18" model so the door would fit better, but you are going to have some leakage, and that is normal.

Just bend the door back to fit it. I salvaged my wsm from a scrap pile, bent everything back into shape, and improvised a lid for it from an old $15 craigslist ots. And I have no problems with controlling temp with air management.

Thanks for the advice on just bending the door, threw some coals and wood on yesterday, that seemed to eliminate 90% of the smoke coming out, now just a bit around the door and lid, very acceptable since I was used to a broken in rusted 10 year old Brinkman, lol

Thanks for the advice on just bending the door, threw some coals and wood on yesterday, that seemed to eliminate 90% of the smoke coming out, now just a bit around the door and lid, very acceptable since I was used to a broken in rusted 10 year old Brinkman, lol

My Brinkman is older than that, lol. I use it for a fire pit.

I put a couple screws in my door as well. That way with it upside down you can prop the door open an inch or so to get a good draft going if your wanting to do higher temps for a chicken.

Prepped Pork Loin for dinner tomorrow, looks good for now, lol. Hope it looks good at the end. First cook on a hot running smoker.

12932842_10208771152817077_5789084278030866245_n.jpg

Back