Need to fix my grill

DavidS

Since we are staying and eating at home a lot more, I have been using the Genesis 1000 a lot more. It is I think a ’99 model. I got it December ‘99 at Home Depot on clearance. It had the non-porcelain coated cast iron grates. Now it isn’t cooking as good as it used to. All but the flavorizer bars are original equipment. I replaced those last year with some SS bars off Amazon. I‘d like to rehab it fully, but have some questions. It lost the flip out table years ago when some movers broke it. Same for the handle light (that made me mad).

I want to replace the burners. I have the middle burner with holes on the sides, not the middle. Do the middle hole burners work differently? Are the cheap burners on Amazon worth getting?

I’d like to replace the wood shelves. They are the grey ones. I prefer wood like many here have done. What type of wood/finish on the wood is recommended?

The manifold? Is there anything to do here? Who does this kind of thing? I am unfamiliar with how to clean, fix, upgrade, anything to do with this part. I still have the quick connect hose. Replace or keep?

I’d like to clean the firebox. It is dirty, not gonna lie. Best method here? Also cleaning the outside of the hood and control panel? Can I use a car polish or is that a no-no?

Finally, the grates. I know RCP/Dave is the recommended vendor, but not sure my wife would want me spending that kind of money. I’ve only ever used the CI grates. They are showing their 20 year age. I think pieces of iron are flaking off. Will SS grates cook like what I am used to? Do they need to be oiled like CI?

Hope that’s not too much to ask at once. I enjoy seeing what you guys have done with these grills.

Are the cheap burners on Amazon worth getting? Yes, they work fine.

What type of wood/finish on the wood is recommended? I recommend Cedar as it is naturally rot resistant. The finish is a matter of taste, but some had done great things with a stain to bring out the wood grain and then Spar Urethane for max outdoor protection.

I’d like to clean the firebox. Best method here? Just scrape it out good with a 2" putty knife, beyond that, it is just OCD as it will get carboned and greased up within a few cooks anyway.

Also cleaning the outside of the hood and control panel? Some #0000 steel wool and Simple green cleaner or similar.

Can I use a car polish or is that a no-no? Yes, but why? You will be amazed how good it looks with just the steel wool and cleaner.

Will SS grates cook like what I am used to? Do they need to be oiled like CI? Yes, they will cook great and be MUCH less hassle and will last longer than the grill. I agree, RCP grates are great, but not necessary unless you just want the best. Get a set off Amazon for $60 and you will be happy with them. I would recommend either of these two.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06Y18YRGS/tvwb-20

or

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B077XQJ6C4/tvwb-20

and, no, you really don't have to oil them, they won't rust and corrode like CI grates, but a little oil will help food keep from sticking.
This is a couple NY Strips from a week ago.
20200419 NY Strips and Baby Bella Mushrooms-2.jpg

Thanks Bruce. Appreciate all the answers. Especially the grates and burners. I have always used the putty knife to scrape out the gunk. I just see the folks here deep cleaning the, and wondered.

I thought car polish as I have the buffer and all the various pads. I’ll get the steel wool next Home Depot run.

Those strips look delicious. Your marls look better than mine I must say. This is one of my favorite pics of my grill.
214615B3-4F38-4C81-8D13-B93454A26371.jpeg

The marks are great for presentation and the thinner CI grates make great sear marks. But, you won't notice a taste difference.
For rehabbing and flipping, the deep cleaning down to the bare aluminum is a great selling point, but like I said, it will be dirty after a half dozen cooks anyways. Don't wast your time. Oh, and grilling asparagus is one of my favorites.

Looks like great steaks to me! You have the REAL Weber cast iron grates that I personally like a lot. They are pain to keep rust free, buy a joy to grill on when they are right. I thick set of stainless rods will, however, give you very similar results - if not quite the same "charm" in use.

As far as polishing, you definitely CAN do that. Like Bruce said, it may not be necessary, but you may well get a deeper shine with some compounding and wax on the outside porcelain of your hood. Some others here have done that.

If I recall correctly, back when I got the grill HD had the real CI grates and Lowe’s had the porcelain coated CI. There were times when I would be slathering them with Crisco, thinking “how much easier would the Lowe’s grates have been? I’ve loved them for sometime, but they are definitely showing their age. I think the burners are the higher priority as the grates still cook nicely. I just have some temperature variation that is throwing off my timing when I cook.

Back