need some tips for doing ribs and brisket

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
I have not had great success in the past when trying to smoke different meats at the same time, and I would like to try a brisket and three racks of baby backs on Saturday. I have done ribs plenty of times, but never a brisket on my WSM. I'm a clay flowerpot user. I also use Kingsford blue bag. If I'm doing the BRITU recipe for the ribs, how should I go about the timing between the two meats? I've only done one brisket ever and it was on a 2-zone charcoal grill utilized as a smoker (not proud of how that one came out). In the past my BRITU ribs are usually done in 3-3.5 hrs. Should the brisket go on the lower rack a few hours earlier? I'd like to have them done around the same time, obviously. I'll take whatever advice I can get on this...I absolutely dread ruining meat.

Thanks

Chris, how much does the brisket weigh. 7 lb brisket can take up to 11 hours. If you haven't done brisket on the smoker yet I would not recommend doing it with another meat until you get the feel for cooking brisket.

You actually don't want them done at the same time. The brisket will need a rest, the ribs just a brief one.

Timing will depend on brisket size and actual cooktemps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O:
Chris, how much does the brisket weigh. 7 lb brisket can take up to 11 hours. If you haven't done brisket on the smoker yet I would not recommend doing it with another meat until you get the feel for cooking brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have not purchased the brisket yet, and honestly I'm hoping I don't have to. I feel like the cook time for each is too different to proceed right now. I may end up doing BRITU on Saturday and a brisket on Sunday instead.

Back