Need some advice on which charcoal kettle grill to buy

Jyaku Lee

I already have a go anywhere charcoal grill but it has a few problems..

1. food easily falls off the sides
2. hard to keep coals hot for a long time
3. no hinged grate for easy access

I only cook for 2 (usually pork chops and some vegetables) so I need some advice on which kettle grill I should get..

I have seen some used 22.5" kettle grills and I could pick them up, but would 18.5" be better for me with more efficient heat?

Could use any and all suggestions.

I recommend a 22.5" because you can bank coals on one side or both sides and cook a beer can or spatchcock chicken, rack of ribs, etc on the other side or in the middle. On an 18" that may be more difficult without trimming/scrunching/transforming etc. Plus on the occasion that you have a dinner party you can do a Rib Roast or at Thanksgiving you can do a small Turkey or Turkey Breast, ect.

Having said that, I do have an 18" Jumbo Joe in the RV that I cook on for two and have enjoyed it tremendously. But when camping you make compromises to save space.

As you become more accustomed to grilling there are a LOT of great recipes out there beyond pork chops. Here are some really good ones: http://www.weber.com/recipes For instance, if you like pork chops try pork tenderloin. It's fantastic grilled. IMHO having more space makes it easier to do successfully.

Last edited:
I have the 22in performer and the size is perfect for my wife and myself. By the time you set up a two zone fire and start putting the potatoes, veggies, and meat on the surface is full.
I like the performer for the side table and ignition system. I have used the kettles and love them also

Mike

Well we just cook for the two of us, look at my signature line and see how many grills and smokers I have and yes I use them all. My though would be a performer, or if there is a space or budget restraint a 22.5 kettle. You can just about do anything from quick chops to smoking a turkey on them. Perfect for whatever you want to do.

I also would recommend a 22" without a doubt. I also cook most often for two , but there are times when you need a little more grill space. I feel like the 22" is fine for small cooks and then real handy for when you have company or you want to cook a big ol chicken indirect (for instance).

Thank you.. got a 22" silver one touch based on your advice. I couldn't afford the performer.. Maybe next time.

I thought of getting a 2nd hand one but my wife said it might be cracked or the wheels might fall next month.. better to be sure to have the warranty. So I agreed with her.

I have two more question.. should I do the burn in on a new kettle grill first or it's good to go already?

And how many kingsford charcoals do you usually put in the 22.5"? half a chimney should be good for reverse seared pork chops?

I already have a go anywhere charcoal grill but it has a few problems..

1. food easily falls off the sides
2. hard to keep coals hot for a long time
3. no hinged grate for easy access

I only cook for 2 (usually pork chops and some vegetables) so I need some advice on which kettle grill I should get..

I have seen some used 22.5" kettle grills and I could pick them up, but would 18.5" be better for me with more efficient heat?

Could use any and all suggestions.

I would suggest the 22.5 OTS Gold; it has a new name this year. Why not the OTS Silver ? (I think this year they call it original kettle) Well the ash catcher in the Gold makes a world of difference with cleanup. As for cooking they're bot equally capable. You can grill, smoke, low & slow, etc with any of them. If you're careful with cleaning, the Silver is your best bet @ 99.00. For two persons is great.

Thank you.. got a 22" silver one touch based on your advice. I couldn't afford the performer.. Maybe next time.

I thought of getting a 2nd hand one but my wife said it might be cracked or the wheels might fall next month.. better to be sure to have the warranty. So I agreed with her.

I have two more question.. should I do the burn in on a new kettle grill first or it's good to go already?

And how many kingsford charcoals do you usually put in the 22.5"? half a chimney should be good for reverse seared pork chops?

Take between 18 and 20 briquettes and burn them on the center of the charcoal grate with the bottom and top vents wide open; I would use a full chimney and you'll have to play with the vents, all open yield higher heat and the reverse. Once done close both vents and let it cool down. You may have some charcoal that can be reused next time. You won't be sorry. Congrats and enjoy it!!

Congrats on the 22. I started out just like you with a smokey Joe for just the 2 of us. Then moved to the 22. Then bought a used performer (it's an affliction). Now the smokey Joe rarely gets used...
Like someone else mentioned, after a cook, close the vents & you should have fuel left for your next high heat cook. Enjoy!

I read a few years ago in a book on smoking (Low & Slow by Gary Wiviott) to always use fresh, lump coal for use on a smoker (WSM is highlighted in the book). I have since started using a kettle, and continue with this strategy but find it is wasteful. Can anyone comment on the benefit of only using fresh lump coal for the kettle, or is this only necessary for the WSM? Or could I even reuse coal on the smoker? Furthermore, he mentions the use of briquets as heresy, and as a result I've only bought the lump. Am I doubly wasting money by 1. not re-using and 2. not using briquets?

I read a few years ago in a book on smoking (Low & Slow by Gary Wiviott) to always use fresh, lump coal for use on a smoker (WSM is highlighted in the book). I have since started using a kettle, and continue with this strategy but find it is wasteful. Can anyone comment on the benefit of only using fresh lump coal for the kettle, or is this only necessary for the WSM? Or could I even reuse coal on the smoker? Furthermore, he mentions the use of briquets as heresy, and as a result I've only bought the lump. Am I doubly wasting money by 1. not re-using and 2. not using briquets?

Michael, you'll get as many opinions about lump vs. briquets as there are members here on TVWBB! Personally, I use briquets and have not had a "fail" yet. Yes, I've used lump a couple of times but prefer briquets since they seem to give me a more consistent burn. And as for your 1st question - I re-use whatever is left for my next cook/smoke. Sometimes the re-used ones go in the chimney and sometimes they lay on the grate and catch the new lit briquets. For the life of me I'm not saying Gary Wiviott is wrong! He has his preferences and that's what he writes.

The best thing I can suggest is to try briquets if you want to. You will not harm any Weber product by using them! You may decide there's a time and place for both of them in your arsenal. And that's a good thing too! Have fun!

Jyaku

A 22.5 works well for the wife and I. Pick up some fire bricks and you can configure it any way you want. I also have a smokey joe with a nice craycort grill, but oddly enough, I don't use it much, most of my cooking is on my 22.5 performer.

Craigw

Back