need some advice/input setting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm trying to get everything together for the arrival of my new WSM. In shopping at Home Depot today I came away with a great deal on Kingsford charcoal (48lbs for $8.00) and some questions. First, I couldn't find a good mat to put down under the cooker (any suggestion on type and place to purchase). I found what looked like a good thermometer (at Wal Mart-created for grills and easy to mount), but the temps on 3/4 of them were showing 300+ degress already, Does that mean they are not working correctly because Im pretty sure its not that hot here in So. Cal. And lastly for now, at Wal Mart they have bags of Jack Daniels old oak barrel wood chips and I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about them as far as if they were a good replacement for white oak with ribs and if they added any flavor (good or bad) being they once held jack daniels.

As far as accesories go, what have you guys found to be irreplacable and would recommend I must have before that first cook. Do I really need fireproof gloves (where would I get them?) I would even like to hear about things you got and never use just so I don't make the same mistake. Thank you for all replies.

I use welding gloves, always have with my Weber Kettle way before I ever got my WSM. I get these at Harbor Freight, three pairs for about $10. The rubber on my chimney starter handle has long been gone. Restaurant supply stores have the best selection for thermometers and the best pricing. I also buy my tongs there, you will probably need more than one pair of those.

I believe you should have fireproof gloves. I got a pair of welder's goves at Home Depot for about $12.00. To handle large cuts of meat like butts or brisket a pair of PVC coated Wells Lamont goves would be good. Before I knew about them I paid a bunch for rotisseri gloves. The PVC coated are about $5.00. You can get a large oil drip pan for under the cooker at an auto parts store.

No matter what you get, you'll always find you "need" something more. That's part of the fun.

PRG

P.S. You can get the PVC gloves at K-Mart

Brian, you also need a metal long-spouted watering can from the garden center of Walmart/K-Mart/whatever Mart you like. Not the fat-nosed one, but the skinny-nosed one. Mine holds about a gallon, and is invaluable for refilling the waterpan through the access door.

You'll find that a remote probe thermometer like a Polder will make things much easier as far as checking temps. Search the forum for Polder, and also search for the posts on the Maverick ET-73. It's remote thermometer with 2 probes, 1 for the meat and 1 for the smoker temps. It has a receiver on which you can get the temp readings "up to 100 feet away". I am very pleased with mine, as are many others on the list.

You don't need a big meat fork. You DO need 2 pairs of good tongs, because you'll want one to use on the coals and one for meat purposes. Oh, and those PVC Wells Lamont gloves are great. I can reach down into the depths of the WSM and flip a 13-lb packer brisket with them on, and never feel the heat. They clean up great, too.

And a notebook. Chris's recommendation of keeping a cooking log is an excellent habit to get into. That way, if things turn out great, you can duplicate the cook. If they don't, you have a better guide to help figure out what went wrong.

OH - you need a Weber charcoal chimney, too. Don't get the cheaper ones - if you can't find a Weber locally, order from Amazon.com. The Weber holds about 6 lb of charcoal as opposed to the other brands which hold about 4. You'll often see "a chimney-ful" used as a measurement for charcoal, and most often than means a Weber-chimney-ful.

And patience. No, make that PATIENCE. That first pork butt will make you think your thermometer's busted, because when it reaches somewhere in the 160-165 meat temp range, it won't budge for several hours. The fat is rendering at this point, and the collagen is melting... in other words, meat-magic is happening. Don't give up, and don't give in to temptation to pull before that butt reaches 190. Briskets do it too - let that brisket get up to 188 before you pull it off the smoker. After a while, you'll be able to recognize that waba-waba falling-in-on-itself look that means "this puppy's DONE!". Wrap 'em in foil, then towels, then dump 'em into an ice chest for at LEAST an hour to let the magic continue. You're gonna be feedin' some FINE groceries soon, Brian! Prepare for the deluge of compliments.

Okay, that's it. That's all I need. Just my WSM. Just my WSM and my Polder. Just my WSM and my Polder and... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Brian,

Lots of good suggestions here. If you haven't seen my list already, check out Barbecue Accessories & Supplies.

I've used the Jack Daniel's chips, they're just fine if you put them in an aluminum foil pouch, poke a few holes in the foil, and put right on the hot coals. Chunks will last longer and are easier to work with than chips, but if you can't get over to Barbeques Galore to get the chunks, those JD chips will do. The JD will not mess up the flavor of your food, but I'm not sure it enhances it, either. They do smell different right out of the bag, though, compared to regular oak.

My suggestion for what not to buy: a vertical turkey roasting stand. Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again.

Regards,
Chris

what about the thermometer...should the thermoter read room temp when idle..the ones I saw were reading all different temps 300+. I have looked into the polder dual, but it gets a lot of bad reviews also..I am really confused on that one.

Yes, any good thermometer will read at room temp when not in use. When you get it home, test it for accuracy by following the steps on the Testing Thermometers For Accuracy page.

And yes, I would stay away from the Polder dual probe unit for now. Seems to get lots of negative comments.

Regards,
Chris

Hi neighbor!
Some great advice!

I don't use water anymore, but those garden water wands work quite well to fill a water pan. They're long and have an off/on valve right where the wand and hose connect.

Also, I like the wax Weber fire starters. I place two under the chimney and light them with a Weber long nose lighter.

And finally, on my first cook, I panicked when I kept looking in to see if the coals were lit or not. First, don't ever look in and second, they are lit.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back