Need Smoked Snapper Recipe

Elliot Grossman

I live in South Florida where all kinds of snapper are readily available. I'm looking for recipes to smoke both whole snappers and fillets.

Dose anyone have one?

Thanks ...

Not being a fan of heavily salt- and sugar-cured fish, I prefer a lighter flavor. If you're so inclined, try this approach, but forgo the dill in the stepped rub to make it better, imo, for snapper. (And a different sauce would be better too.)

The salt ratio for the brine is a scant 4 Tbls Diamond Crystal kosher salt to 1 quart of water (or a scant 3 Tbls Morton kosher; or a scant 2 Tbls regular table salt). Use 2 Tbls table sugar.

Make sure the fish's surface is thoroughly dry before smoking - you can speed the process by placing it on a cake cooling rack over a sheetpan and pointing a fan directly at it. You want the surface to feel dry but somewhat tacky.

(I used to have a house on Royal Palm near 37th on Miami Beach.)

Elliot,

I'm NOT a "fish expert", 'cause the Wife is not a seafood fan. I don't know if this would work for red snapper, BUT...

When I was a kid growing up in central Florida (Clearwater), I remember some great-tasting smoked mullet that we used to get at the Mullet Inn, on the Gulf-to-Bay Causeway.

I went looking for a recipe for smoked mullet, and found this link. When I lived in Maryland, nobody had ever heard of mullet
icon_smile.gif
so I tried it a couple of times with milder fish...tasted pretty darn good to me, but I never could keep the smoker temps that low !!!

Since I've moved back to the FL Panhandle, I've had some great smoked mullet dip at a little restaurant in Steinhatchee, and you can actually buy it at a few places (Joe Patti's Seafood, in Pensacola). Mullet and catfish are king around here, so your post reminded me of the recipe...Now I'll have to go try it again, with some authentic mullet this time
icon_biggrin.gif

HTH, and thanks for the post !

Dean...

Don't know much about SMOKED snapper.

However - for GRILLED snapper, I was watching one of Bobby Flay's grilling shows - his guest made whole snapper that was:
-scaled
-scored with diagonal cuts
-swabbed generously with a Jerk-seasoning "paste" that he made.
It looked / sounded really good.

My brother and I had a great time on Lower Matecumbe in the keys, on a family vacation. I don't get to fish salt water much. We fished at night in the channel, from shore - using a bare hook with chunks of ballyhoo tossed TIGHT against the rip-rap. (If you weren't bouncing it off the metal, you wouldn't get any, but they were laying in there!) Had a cooler full of cold beer and catching Mangrove Snapper (Green with coppery bars), around 2-3 lbs each. On light tackle. We would catch one, fillet it, toss the fillets on ice, and keep fishing. A twelve-pack later, the sun was starting to come-up, so we took our cooler, with a nice pile of fillets back to the condo, and fried some up for breakfast. Man! Good Times
icon_smile.gif

If you have to cook some indoors - try the Puerto Rican recipe I posted in the "Seafood Recipes" section.

Back