need seafood recipes!!!!!

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
I've moved from the great Canadian prairies to the mecca of seafood on Vancouver Island.

I am looking for all kinds of seafood recipes - both smoked and "plain"!

I've been catching and smoking my own frewsh sockeye salmon. I've also bought fresh albacore tuna that I am getting the loins cold smoked for lox.

I can get everything fresh here like shrimp, prawns, oysters, clams and all varieties of fish.

I would like some recipes for oysters as I can get them quite readily right now. I would like to make some oyster stew and fried oysters.

It is incredible how much fish you eat when its available and fresh.

I just had lunch and was snacking on "Indian candy" - which I am going to have to try making.
Indian candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8

I am interested in everyones favourite seafood recipes especially using my WSM or Big Chief Smoker.

Thanks
Ken

Tequila Lime Grilled Shrimp
Steve Cutchen

Servings/Yield
6 servings

This is the same marinade used for Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken

Ingredients
2 pounds shrimp, large (25-30 count), peeled, deveined, tails on
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 ounces frozen limeade concentrate, (recommended: Minutemaid)
¼ cup tequila
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, finely chopped (1 big bulb; more than 1 shallot usually comes in a bulb...)
1 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ cup cilantro, chopped (a small handful)
1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, chopped. See note.
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt
black pepper
½ cup vegetable oil
1 lime, sliced, for garnish

Method

This dish can be made on a grill using skewers or on a grill pan. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in cold water for at least 1 hour.

Clean and devein the shrimp, leaving the tail shell on.

To prepare the marinade: Whisk together the lime juice, tequila, garlic, shallots, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, and pepper. Slowly add the vegetable oil, whisking until combined. Taste for seasoning.

Reserve 1/2 cup of the virgin marinade for serving.

Put the shrimp and remaining marinade into a bowl or zip bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least ½ and up to 2 hours.

When ready to cook, spread a thin layer of the reserved clean marinade on the shrimp serving platter. This will be under the shrimp when served. Reserve the rest for dipping.

Skewers:
Thread the shrimp on the skewers (4 to 5 to each skewer, go through the body then through the tail shell). Just before putting the shrimp skewers on the grill, spray with vegetable oil spray to prevent sticking. Grill the shrimp on each side for about 3 minutes or to desired doneness. Spray again with vegetable oil spray just before turning. Remove from the grill as each skewer is done, transferring to the platter and covering with foil to keep warm.

Grill pan:
Preheat cooking-sprayed grill pan to very hot. Working quickly, place shrimp on the grill pan. Cook about 3 minutes, then flip. Dab each shrimp with a bit of marinade. If the grill pan is in a grill, close the lid at this point. Cook an additional 3 minutes or until shrimp is done. Remove to the platter and cover with foil to keep warm.

Serve with melted butter and/or reserved clean marinade.

Notes

Based on recipe from http://www.culinarycafe.com/Se...ila_Lime_Shrimp.html

For best results, prepare the marinade a day in advance and store in the refrigerator to allow the seasonings to infuse with the oil.

In place of the jalapeno, consider reconstituted guajillo chile.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lime Pepper Shrimp
Steve Cutchen

Servings/Yield
2 servings

Ingredients
1 pound shrimp, large (25-30 count), peeled, deveined, tails on
kosher salt
black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes
1 stick butter
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lime, halved
¼ cup cilantro, chopped

Method

Lay shrimp out on a cookie sheet and pat dry with a paper towel. Season top side with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Melt butter over low heat. Add garlic and sweat to season the butter and soften the garlic. Keep heat low. Do not burn.

Preheat an iron griddle to very hot. Working quickly, lay the shrimp onto the griddle, seasoned side down. Cook 3 minutes. Working quickly in the same order as they were placed down, use tongs to flip each shrimp. Once all shrimp are flipped, cook 1 minute. Now spoon some of the garlic butter mixture over the shrimp. Cook 2 minutes. Squeeze lime juice over the shrimp, then sprinkle the shrimp with the cilantro, and continue to cook until the shrimp are done. Remove to a serving platter. Using a spatula, scrape up the butter, garlic and cilantro bits from the griddle into a small prep bowl.

Serve shrimp with remaining garlic butter and crispy griddle bits on the side.

Ken,

Here are two of my favorites. Enjoy.

Ray

Pan Seared Scallops with Sesame Sauce

12 large sea scallops
2 sliced green onions (white and green sections reserved separately)
2 minced garlic cloves
2 ½ TBS soy sauce
1 TBS rice vinegar
3 tsp sugar
½ tsp cornstarch
1 ½ TBS dark sesame oil
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 TBS EVOO
Freshly ground black pepper

Let scallops come to room temp (about 4-5 minutes) while you mix together white pieces of onion, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, and crushed pepper in a bowl and set aside.

Heat EVOO in large skillet on medium heat. Add scallops and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Cook about 3 minutes until scallops brown, turn, add more pepper and brown on the other side (another 2 to 3 minutes). Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Whisk sauce mixture into skillet and cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute until sauce boils and thickens – remove pan from heat and drizzle sauce over scallops.

Garnish scallops with the chopped green onion pieces. Enjoy!

Note – this sauce would be perfect over any fish dish!

Blue Oysters

1 pint oysters
Absolute Citron Vodka (for the lemon flavor)
Blue cheese

Preheat broiler on high, with oven rack set as high as possible
Place clean oyster shells (we save them and wash in dishwasher between uses) on broiler pan. The ridges in the pan will hold the shells upright. Or just open fresh oysters and put them on the pan.
Sprinkle vodka over each oyster.
Crumble blue cheese (about 1/3 tsp) over each oyster
Broil until edges begin to curl and cheese is melting (usually about 4 ½ minutes)

Thanks everyone. Keep the recipes coming!!!!!!

Salmon, tuna and halibut recipes would be great at his time!!!!!!!!!!

tight lines and good cookin'!
Ken

Never made them myself, but you can look it up:

-OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER:
(A local place serves them on the half-shell over a "bed" of rock salt, cloves, and allspice placed in a layer in a jelly-roll pan. The smell when they are brought out is OUTSTANDING.)
Serve with your favorite well-chilled champagne or prosecco

-GRILLED FISH:
With good / fresh fish, I like to keep it simple:
Grilled Fish (From Classic Italian Cookbook)
-Firm fish steaks or fillets (Tuna, Mahi-Mahi, or Sword)
-Fresh lemons
-Olive Oil
-Seasoned bread crumbs
-A little finely-chopped Rosemary (optional)
Use this on more flavorful fish

Lightly salt & pepper the fish, then squeeze the lemon & drizzle a little olive oil over it.
Flop the fish around / dredge it in bread crumbs, so that it gets a light coating on it.
Grill over medium-high heat.

With a lighter, flaky fish, it may be good to marinate it before grilling. One of my all-time favorites was fresh-caught Cobia, cut into 3/4-inch thick slabs, marinated in Mojo Criollo (pseudo Cuban version), then tossed on the grill.

CHILLO IN MOJITO ISLEN~O:
(An adapted version of a Puerto-Rican recipe)
Chillo = Red Snapper, but similar fish works good as well

I'll have to dig-up the specifics, but essentially, it's lightly-fried fish, gently simmered in a sweet red sauce with carmelized onions, sweet red peppers, olive oil, a few olives, garlic, oregano, and capers.

It's a little different from what we usually get around here - but REALLY TASTY!

Outstanding fish recipes Ron. I am looking up that last recipe because with no word of a lie I picked up fresh red snapper fillets at lunchtime for my dinner this evening.

Do you have the Chillo recipe on hand?

thanks
Ken

Ken -

I tried finding a good recipe for this, in English, on the web - but was unable to. I had to get help translating what I have written-down at home, from Spanish.

OK - got home and polished this up:

Start sauce about an hour before cooking the fish.

Fish = Red Snapper (other Snapper, Sea Bass, or Tilapia would probably work OK also)
3 to 4 fillets (about 3/4 lb each)
or whole fish weighing about 2-1/2 lbs when gutted, gilled, & scaled

2 medium onions, sliced
1 jar (12 to 16 oz) peeled, roasted sweet red peppers in juice
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups diced, seeded tomatos
2-3 nice bay leaves
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives (I used greek kalamatas)
2-3 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
4-5 medium garlic cloves minced / run-thru press
Add capers if you have them (2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup), drained)
2 Tbsb white vinegar

Slice the onions and saute in saucepan with a little oil until the rings start to carmelize.
Next, drain, chop, & dump-in sweet red peppers. (I am going to try peppadews next time). Add remaining ingredients. Simmer the sauce for about an hour - adding a little water and/or chicken stock if it seems too thick.

Salt, pepper, & lightly flour your fish (If whole, cut slits in the skin), then brown it on both sides. Then add the sauce, work the fish into the sauce and ladle some of it over the top - Simmer for about 10 minutes - serve & enjoy.

Pescado Pico
Steve Cutchen

Servings/Yield
2 servings

Ingredients
1 pound fresh fish fillets
vegetable oil
kosher salt
black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes
Pico de Gallo, See related item

Method

Lightly oil the filets, then season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook on hot dry griddle, allowing the fish to release on its own when it is seared and done. Serve with pico de gallo.

Pico de Gallo
Luby's Cafeteria

Servings/Yield
2 cups

Ingredients

2 tomatoes, medium, diced, drained (can substitute 3 Roma tomatoes)
½ yellow onion, medium, diced
1 serrano chile, seeds and membranes removed, minced (can substitute 2 jalapenos) Add a bit at a time and taste for heat
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
½ lemon, large, juiced (just add half and taste)
2 tablespoons olive oil, just add half and check
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Method

In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes and onions, and remove as much liquid as you can. Then mix all remianing ingredients together, but just add half of the lemon juice, olive oil and the peppers to begin with, adding more to taste.

Ron G.
I made you Cuban red snapper recipe -- it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!

j biesinger
I am going to try the albacore ceviche!!!!

Fresh albacore here is only $2lb right off of the boat!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ken

Everyone keep sending me your favourites and suggestions!!!!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Incidentally, it's Puerto Rican, not Cuban - I got interested in the recipe myself in conversations with a friend from Guyama (across the island, South of San Juan). When he described it (from a favorite small restraunt), I knew I HAD to give it a try myself. He said that they use a kind of Oregano that "grows wild on the island". I suspect that it's a little different from the Greek / Turkish stuff we get around here, but it's still good.

And another idea for seafood - Look-up some recipes for Cioppino (an Italian-style seafood stew, in a spicy broth). It's really good with some crusty bread to dunk and a good, COLD beer!

Ron, sorry about confusing the recipe origin.

Great idea with the Cioppino recipe suggestion as halibut season is just around the corner here and I can get fresh off the boat!!!!

Ken

Back