Need longer smoke duration

Me again, bought today a Amazen expandable tube and a bag of Cabela’s mesquite pellets. 1999 Genesis hasn’t been used since last year, tried all three burners and are ok, used only front one to test set on Med. 70d day and 15-20 mph wind gusts, added pellets to collapsed tube less than half full and flame start was easy then soon blown out and hot smoking tube was simply laid on top of grate. Very nice smoke stream has been seeping out for 2 1/2hrs and may go one more hr. Expect nicer air and warm temps this weekend to grill something. Thanks to all for your thoughts. BW
A reply to my self leaves me wondering! As I wrote back in 3-2023 the pellets worked fine but recently it has been difficult lately to use all of the same equipment as before and get awful results now trying to get the pellets started and be kept working. They keep going out after a short burn time even using a torch but after about a hour messing with them they work quite well. The pellet bag has been stored inside an air conditioned house. Is there something to put in the Cabela’s Mesquite pellets to refresh them ? My best clue is that after a while fussing and cooking they seem to work about when I’m done cooking. Any hints/thoughts ? Tks.

I thought there was 3 types of pellets.
One for wood stoves used for heat.
One for grilling or smoking (for flavor only) like this
1693683178656.png
And the combo ones for pellet grills.

You could put them in an oven for an hour or so on about 200 degrees. That might dry them out.

A reply to my self leaves me wondering! As I wrote back in 3-2023 the pellets worked fine but recently it has been difficult lately to use all of the same equipment as before and get awful results now trying to get the pellets started and be kept working. They keep going out after a short burn time even using a torch but after about a hour messing with them they work quite well. The pellet bag has been stored inside an air conditioned house. Is there something to put in the Cabela’s Mesquite pellets to refresh them ? My best clue is that after a while fussing and cooking they seem to work about when I’m done cooking. Any hints/thoughts ? Tks.
Tks Bruce but that didn’t help today. I’m thinking now as I’m trying to cold smoke a while before cooking that I’m at a too low temp for the pellets to keep burning and go out. So, how low of a temp do some of you cold smoke with pellets ? Tks. BW

Tks Bruce but that didn’t help today. I’m thinking now as I’m trying to cold smoke a while before cooking that I’m at a too low temp for the pellets to keep burning and go out. So, how low of a temp do some of you cold smoke with pellets ? Tks. BW
Cold smoking is 85°F and lower. I make smoked salmon (lox), and the only thing going on in the smoking is the pellets smoldering and making smoke. Usually I’m in that 75° range. Nothing else is on when cold smoking. Just getting smoke across the salmon, and a hunk of cheese too sometimes.

There are many posts here already documenting how to light a smoke tube so that it smokes, not burns.

Cold smoking is 85°F and lower. I make smoked salmon (lox), and the only thing going on in the smoking is the pellets smoldering and making smoke. Usually I’m in that 75° range. Nothing else is on when cold smoking. Just getting smoke across the salmon, and a hunk of cheese too sometimes.

There are many posts here already documenting how to light a smoke tube so that it smokes, not burns.
Tks for the temp info which has been more important than you might think. It is almost clear to me now that somehow my 20# bag of pellets has changed somehow after I have successfully used them a couple of times even though the bag was resealed and kept in a air conditioned room. Yes, I have used several methods to lite them and after a few minutes the flame is blown out they smolder nicely out in open air but when placed inside the grill at several different levels they hardly now keep smoking before going out. It is as if they need more air flow inside the grill. Tks to all for your patience ! BW

Crack the grill open a little to increase airflow. That might be enough to get the smoldering smoke you seek. Airflow is important for cold smoking.

9-5-23 SMOKE SUCCESS Finally. I was right about my pellets going bad somehow. I bought a new 20# bag of Traeger pellets. Ez to lite, burn a bit and blow out and watch the smoke rise from inside the Amaze tube. Put it on the unlit Genesis grate and closed the lid. Couple of hours later still going good with no problems. Next question is a simple test of something to cold smoke to test the flavor ? What do you suggest since my clothing and nose reeks of the smoke smell without food nearby ? Tks. BW

What do you suggest since my clothing and nose reeks of the smoke smell without food nearby ? Tks. BW

How about Tri Tip.

I would cold smoke a tri tip for one to two hours. get the smoke tube going and just put the TT on right from the refrigerator.

After a couple of hours, start the grill, (you have a Genesis 1000 right? ) I wouldn't bother with a preheat, Burners Low | Off | Off
move the tri tip to the back half of the grill and cook it indirect until the meat is 120F internal.

When meat is at 120F, pull it off, and cover it fairly tight with foi. Let the meat rest while you crank up the temp on the gasser.

Turn all burners on High ( HHH) for 10 mins or so.

Sear 30 to 60 seconds a side and flip it 4 or 6 or 8 times until it feels done.

If you aren't sure, Pull it off the heat back in the serving dish and temp check with an instant read. I find 127F internal is about right for a tri tip.

How about Tri Tip.

I would cold smoke a tri tip for one to two hours. get the smoke tube going and just put the TT on right from the refrigerator.

After a couple of hours, start the grill, (you have a Genesis 1000 right? ) I wouldn't bother with a preheat, Burners Low | Off | Off
move the tri tip to the back half of the grill and cook it indirect until the meat is 120F internal.

When meat is at 120F, pull it off, and cover it fairly tight with foi. Let the meat rest while you crank up the temp on the gasser.

Turn all burners on High ( HHH) for 10 mins or so.

Sear 30 to 60 seconds a side and flip it 4 or 6 or 8 times until it feels done.

If you aren't sure, Pull it off the heat back in the serving dish and temp check with an instant read. I find 127F internal is about right for a tri tip.

Sorry but a Tri Tip would be more like a celebration dinner. I need to think of something simpler that’s a good test for the added smoke flavor or not produced like some speak so highly of. Tks. BW

Sounds like a test to be done by Jeremy Yoder, the BBQ Mad Scientist. I would be interested to hear if someone can do a matching, blind test with a couple

Such a simple test to try soon. Tks. BW
Did a test. Nat gas grill, mesquite pellets in an Amaze tube and cold smoked 96%hamburger and catfish fillet for over 2rs. Later grilled them on a Lodge cast iron griddle on top of the grates with a un smoked hamburger and another fillet.
Yes the smoked burger had flavor and the normal one was flat tasting. Hardly any difference between the two fillets. May be better smoke pellets for fish to use. No extra sauces were used during testing. Tks. BW

Back