Need london broil advice

Eugene Deel

I've been told by my wife and sister in law that I'm doing a London broil tonight. Not sure if they know, but I've never done a London broil. I'll be doing this on a 22.5 Weber and can use a Vortex or charcoal baskets. Was thinking of offsetting the Vortex but not sure if that will be too high of heat. If so I can use the baskets on either side and put the meat in the middle. Finally, we like our meat more towards the medium-well side of the spectrum so not sure what internal temp I should use. Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't mess with the vortex. I'd just do a reverse sear. Maybe put both baskets on one side or start with one basket and bring the temp up slow and then when you sear use both baskets. I think bringing the temp up slow is important. Since you want it more in the medium well range I'd maybe bring it up to 135 and then sear it to get it to 155. You even get sort of middle rest in by getting it to 135, resting it while you getting more coals ready and then sear it.

I cook a lot of London Broils and I would use the baskets. Depending on thickness I do 4 minutes a side direct heat and then 4 to 8 minutes of indirect heat. The thing about LB is that it's best rare to med-rare and definitely not over medium or even at medium because it a tougher cut and the more towards medium it gets the tougher it will be. I go to 129-130 internal temp and as it rest it will go up to 135+ then slice across the grain as thin as possible. If done right it's better then tenderloin because it has more flavor. IMHO

I also marinade maybe not a must but definitely a good idea to break down those fibers, I use Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing but any Italian dressing will do.

Honestly, if you like your meat on the medium well side, a top round london broil isn't a very good option. If you are hell bent on doing it, I'd recommend cooking it very low and slow to start with. I'm talking 225 or even less. Finish with a quick sear for some added flavor.

I've been told by my wife and sister in law that I'm doing a London broil tonight. Not sure if they know, but I've never done a London broil. I'll be doing this on a 22.5 Weber and can use a Vortex or charcoal baskets. Was thinking of offsetting the Vortex but not sure if that will be too high of heat. If so I can use the baskets on either side and put the meat in the middle. Finally, we like our meat more towards the medium-well side of the spectrum so not sure what internal temp I should use. Any help is appreciated.

Let us know the results of the cook :)

It has been my experience with London Broils that they taste better having been marinated 12 to 24 hours. I use a bottle of Zesty Itailan dressing, or make up some from scratch, a tablespoon or so of Lemon Pepper, 1/4 cup Worchestesher sauce, and some Balsamic Vinegar. I never measure, just dump.

We cook these over a hot fire for a short time, just like my venison tenderloins. I like my London Broils rare, and my wife likes hers medium, so I'll position things accorsingly. Jim

Back