Need Help with Turkey Skin

G

As you may notice this is my first post. I have been cooking on the WSM for about 2 years. Mainly pork butts and ribs. I smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving that was a big success. But I was dissapointed in the skin texture. I am smoking two more for the "big game" over Labor Day weekend. I will be following my Allingam's Recipe for Apple-Brined Turkey in this forum. The last time I did not use a rub or oil. Will using oil or butter solve my problem by crisping the skin? I have also heard of a quick douse in boiling water before smoking? (Sounds like making Turkey stock to me.) Are there any other ways of crisping the skin or is rubbery soft skin something I have to live with? Thanks for the help

Crispy turkey skin is tricky. I think the root of the problem is in the fact that in the WSM, regardless of the use high temps, crispy skin is best achieved with direct radiant heat, as with a rotisserie. Even dry, the water pan shields the bird. The boiling water douse is meant to sort of pre-cook the skin, tighten it up a little, and perhaps melt some of the fat just under the skin. Another method involves storing the turkey uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, letting the dehumidifying effects of the circulating air dry the skin somewhat prior to cooking. Even if one were to manage a finishing period of direct heat in the WSM somehow-- probably risky messing with a hot cooker and a big bird-- the recommended rest before carving, loosely covered in foil, would likely negate most of the crisping.

Frank -

Welcome to the board. I'm still a newbie but have gotten a ton of good advice from the people here. Chris, the moderator, does a great job.

I've tried a few techniques to get the skin of turkey I've smoked to be crisy. Bottom line - smoked turkey meat is wonderful.... after you ditch the skin.

Nothing I've tried has made the skin worth eating. I"ve tried air drying for a day prior to cooking (I got dry rubbery skin); quick blast under the broiler (I got hot drier rubbery skin and some overcooking in top parts of the breast); and the boiling water trick combined with air drying (guess what I got).

The first thing I have learned from all the trial and error is that the skin on a smoked turkey isn't going to get crisp without otherwise ruining the meat. The second thing I'd recommend when smoking a turkey is don't go overboard with the wood chips or chunks. For reasons that some scientist could provide, the smoke flavor intensifies the second day. I once put in twice the usual handful of chips and on the second day it was like eating turkey flavored alderwood.

Good luck,
Dean

The only time I've ever achieved crispy skin, I was cooking for Smoke Day with two WSMs. Didn't have enough thermometers to go around so the turkey breast (rib bones on) was put in with sand in the pan, all vents opened 100% and no idea what the smoker temp was. Looked beautiful when it was done, but then the rest under the loose foil undid the crispy skin. Doh!

I don't worry about it any more, just whether the meat is juicy.

Back