Need help with dried out pork

C.W. Nash

Tried an overnight for my third smoke with my 18" WSM last night. Temps stabilized quickly at 240* with a foiled pan and ceramic disk but it didn't last. Three hours in temps started dropping on me so I gently stirred the coals and opened up the vents a bit and the temp came back to 240*. I went to bed around 2:00am and woke up at 3:30 to find it at 270*. I stayed up the rest of the night and kept it in the 240* - 250* range.

I followed the recipe for the mustard slathered pork butts. Previously I have used a water pan and pulled the butts at 165*. The recipe called for 190* so I let them (3 of them) go to 190*. One of them pulled apart a bit when I was getting it off of the smoker and it appears it is dried out pretty badly.

Is there anything I can do to save it? I don't really want to dump a bunch of BBQ sauce all over it as I was planning on giving one of the butts to a friend as a gift. I'm afraid I just wasted $40 worth of pork and am going to have to start all over.
icon_frown.gif

C.W.....You can add apple juice or even chicken stock (unsalted) to moisten up your PP. Also add a bit of your rub to the finished meat to give it an extrs little WOW.

The 270* temps will not hurt a thing. I smoke my butts in the 260* - 280* all of thee time. It just cooks a little faster. I foil and rest covered in a cooler (pre warmed if you like) for 1-2 hours, then pull. AND cook your butts " 'til they're done"...when a (Temp.)probe goes into the meat like "warm butter". Good Luck & have a Merry and a Happy!! HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and it appears it is dried out pretty badly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I bet its not, most butts aren't tender untill 185 all the way to 200. B Kaylor is dead on right as well.

I have to agree with what has been said as it sounds like they are not done yet. My personal way is to smoke between 260 - 280 and start checking them around 190. Most are ready to pull off around 195-200 but there are some that need even more time than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinJ:
I have to agree with what has been said as it sounds like they are not done yet. My personal way is to smoke between 260 - 280 and start checking them around 190. Most are ready to pull off around 195-200 but there are some that need even more time than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by C.W. Nash:
"The recipe called for 190* so I let them (3 of them) go to 190*. One of them pulled apart a bit when I was getting it off of the smoker and it appears it is dried out pretty badly."

In my experience, it seems that the higher temp you cook at, the higher the IT will be when the meat gets tender. I smoked a couple the other night at 225-250* or so, and they both were plenty ready at 190*. One had little fat left inside to render, and on the other one, I didn't put anything at all in the trash besides the bone.

If they "pulled apart a bit when I was getting it off of the smoker", I'd consider them cooked plenty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.W. Nash:
Tried an overnight for my third smoke with my 18" WSM last night. Temps stabilized quickly at 240* with a foiled pan and ceramic disk but it didn't last. Three hours in temps started dropping on me so I gently stirred the coals and opened up the vents a bit and the temp came back to 240*. I went to bed around 2:00am and woke up at 3:30 to find it at 270*. I stayed up the rest of the night and kept it in the 240* - 250* range. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

C.W., Don't feel too bad about your cook. Read what Harry Soo had to say about doing long cooks without his stoker using a dry pan:

PaulH
Posted March 03, 2010 10:56 AM
Harry,
In earlier posts you said you do not use the stoker during your test cooks. To control the temps old school and with an empty water pan do you use less fuel and really restrict the vents on the cooker to maintain ideal bbq temperatures?

Harry Soo
TVWBB Fan

Posted March 03, 2010 11:22 PM
No. Amount of fuel is exactly the same. Just more fiddling of the vents versus being on autopilot with the Stoker System. Temps will stay consistent for 3-4 hours but after that you have to play with the vents. If I'm cooking butt and brisket, I'll bring out the stoker. For ribs, I do it old school style.

Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ

Lots of folks cook without water, but I think you'll minimize the temp spikes if you use it. I've only done one overnighter without water, if that tells you anything.

Thanks guys. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. There were a few dry spots but overall if turned out ok.

I don't think I'll be trying another overnighter anytime soon and won't attempt it without water when I decide to give it another go.

C.W., don't let this one time stop you from doing overnighters. The more you do them, the more second nature it becomes. Pork butts are so forgiving and people that don't "Q" think that you are a Master! [just smile and say "thank you"]. I usually do at least 4 at a time, but the last couple of years, I do 6'ers. I cook with a foiled water pan and a candy therm for the temp. Do your cooks the way YOU want; there is no wrong way and you can never have too much PP. Have fun with it!

C.W., we had some of the best bbq sandwiches tonight, leftovers from the other night. It seems it's always best a couple of days later.
icon_wink.gif

Anyway, this is not a Blues Hog commercial, but I tell you what. Like so many say, I don't add any more "finishing sauce" than I think I need. I just used some of the Blues Hog TN Red, thinned with vinegar, a little AJ, water, and a little hot sauce. I don't think I added anything else.

For the serving sauce, I mixed the regular Blues Hog and the TN Red 50/50...just a couple of pickles on a bun that I softened a little in the microwave...pork piled SO high and drizzled with that sweet and tangy Blues Hog concoction. Not a brat, but Heaven on a bun, and a very good excuse for some Lays tater chips and a tall glass of sweet tea!

Ray Lampe, aka Dr. BBQ, says to add apple juice and bbq sauce mixed 50/50, no more than necessary to moisten the pork. I had already put 1/2 a cup of AJ in the foil when I pulled them off the cooker, so I didn't want to add much more juice.

Back