Need help. Which grill to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
I have the smoker and the gasser . . . I now feel compelled to add a Weber charcoal grill. Which model is the best bang for my buck? I don't care about portability . . . just a solid grill for family bbqs, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If a couple hundred extra isn't too much, go ahead and get a Performer. You will be glad you did. If money is tight get a 22 1/2 OTG.

Well ...

If you don't mind 'slightly used', you can get very nice Performers off Craigslist for about $100. Like these ...

Weber SS Performer $90 West Milford NJ

Weber Performer $135 Manhasset NY

Drive a little, Save a lot!
icon_wink.gif

If I were to do it all over again, I certainly would buy the 26" Weber.
Absolutely - No Doubt About It - Hands Down: The 26" Weber.

I guess I'm in the minority. I've had a OTG and currently have 2 OTS. While I liked the gold, I don't see the added benefit for the price. I got my silvers off craigslist for $15 and $25.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
I guess I'm in the minority. I've had a OTG and currently have 2 OTS. While I liked the gold, I don't see the added benefit for the price. I got my silvers off craigslist for $15 and $25. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Keeping hot coals off the ground are an added benefit for me.

Buy an enclosed ash catcher off ebay for $25. That's what I'm doing to a brown kettle I just bought.

I like craigslist kettles better then new ones because you can buy old and discontinued pieces.

Just buy a Performer - It's an amazing grill, and then you won't have to worry about wanting to upgrade.

When I originally bought a Weber I was choosing between the 22.5" OTS and OTG. In the end I went for the OTG because I saw the benefit of the ash collector. I didn't even consider the Performer at the time because of the price and because I didn't know any better
icon_smile.gif

Now I own a Performer I wonder why I didn't buy one in the first place - I don't know how I put up without a side table and gas assist.

-Mark.

Agree with everone else's advice, so I will only add that if you want a larger cooking surface, go with the 26.75 OTG. I love mine. Admittedly, I'm still on a "honeymoon" after only a few weeks, but it's impressive. If you only cook for 2-4, probably not necessary. But there's a lot of cooking surface on the 26....

Thanks for all the advice. The old gasser survived the 4th, but I have to get an upgrade before the next family get-together.

After reading some of the posts, I'm a little confused. Can you do indirect on the Performer? That's a big factor for me.

One more opinion. If you cook for 2 or 3 get a 22" grill-I would rec. the performer.

On the other hand if you cook for 4 or more...get the 26" grill.

I've used 18, 22 and ranch. Ranch is a handfull. I think for 4 peeps, I would go 26". Lastly, if you need to stick with a budget, the 22 will service for 4+ with good fire management. The more space you have, the more flexibility you have.

Go with the 26 incher. If you prefer to indirect or smoke low and slow the 26 will give you more room with better control. A performer is just an other 22 incher with a table.

The 26er no contest, if any kettle is over priced it is the perfomer, 180 dollars more for a small table and gas come on man, u can make ur own table the way u like it and set the 26er, like i said in an early thread u can cook direct and indirect at the same time on the 26er

Steve P said it well. Number of people plays a big part. We had 3 people in the home, the 22.5 OTG worked most of the time, have a 18.5 Silver for the overflow at times. Now with 4 in the home, I'm using both most of the time. I do tend to cook whole meals though, not just meat, so how and what you cook plays a part also. Would love a 26 myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back