Need Help QUICK.

Drew Baker

I am a newb, considering buying a WSM tomorrow. I found it used, on Craigslist. My question is: is there anything in particular that I should be looking at to make sure that even though it is used it is still going to smoke just like all of yours will?

The guy said his wife finally just put her foot down that he had too many grills (3), and he had to sell something. He has seemed pretty straight up with me, and has said that he kept it in his garage. ItIS a post 2009 model, 18.5, so it's got the new improvements as well. He's got it listed for 200, but I talked him to 160 (okay deal?)

Any thoughts? Things I should look for to make sure it's in good working order? Any worries with buying a used one?

Going to see it tomorrow morning, so I gotta know pretty soon. Thanks!!

Just make sure the porcelain isn't chipped, and that all the pieces seat together. If they don't seat evenly it's a sign of a condition called "out of round" and it may affect the performance.

160 is decent for a used 2009+ model but a bit on the high side imo.

If it is post 2009, he should include the cover.

For 160 bucks, I would expect it to be in great shape: in other words, you should have no concerns with ANYTHING if you are paying that much. Grates should be clean, no chips, no out of round, straight legs, etc. If you have any concern about grates, start knocking down the price by twenty bucks a grate or twenty bucks a leg.

Obviously check the round condition of the chamber against both the bowl and the lid. Spinning them around sometimes makes it easier to spot where they are out of round. This will also make the seller think you are crazy.

Look at the charcoal bowl. How clean is it. That is a sign of how well someone cares for their WSM. (ie is there a rust ring from water sitting on ash). They are easy to keep clean, and easy to clean if they are merely not let to collect water.

Look at the inside of the flimsy door. How dark is it. If it is dark caramel, it has been used less than ten times probably. If it is dark dark brown to black, it is well used (this is not a problem per se, just helps identify usage!)

If it is in GREAT SHAPE, it will cook better than new.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys. It wasn't clean, but it was in okay shape. Paid 120, so I think I did okay, especially since a new one at 300 would have been harder to clear by the Mrs.... If we like it, and she enjoys the beautiful meaty results, may upgrade in the future. Thanks for the advice guys!!

Regarding your need to clean it up, Simple Green makes a BBQ grill cleaner that has worked very well for me and I've also had success using Greased Lightening. The Simple Green is biodegradable but the Greased Lightening is not so you need to rinse everything you might use it on thoroughly before cooking on it.

Back