Need Help Grilling Vegetables

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
My wife is showing vegetarian tendencies. That's OK, I'm secure in my ability to grill meat, do not consider her misadventure a reflection of my grilling talents and it leaves more for me.

However, I want to grill vegetables for her since she likes them that way (and don't tell anybody, but I like them on the plate to add color to the steak).

What is the best procedure for grilling vegetables to get a nice crisp grill mark and not have the vegetables get soggy? Am I cooking them too long, too hot, not hot enough?

How thick should zuchinni, squash and potatos be cut for grilling? I typically spash the veggies with some olive oil and then sprinkle on either some Cavender's Greek Seasoning or some Tony C's.

I like the flavors I'm getting but not the soggy texture.

I appreciate any hints, suggestions, help or whatever you might offer to help my vegetable grilling talents!

Thanks in advance!

Pat

i cook them at a high temp and not for long. they will still be near raw in the middle. if cooked till done they will be limp and soggy. i cut the veggies length wise. or you can use one of those woks, etc that have all the holes in them.

Pat,par-boil your potatoes before you grill them. This will help them get done and you can still get your grill marks. As far as zucchinis and onions,cut them fairly thick and cook al dente. Very yummy. You can also do asparagus on the grill. Just put them perpendicular to the grill. The grill pans are good for smaller chunks,or for green beans(my favorite!). The missus and I also like tomatoes with blue cheese. Just don't cook to long. Let us know how they turn out.

My wife is showing vegetarian tendencies.
Have you taken her to the doctor yet Pat?
icon_smile.gif

Like mentioned, the grill baskets may help, and shakin' em' would provide <STRIKE>exercise</STRIKE> cooking flair!

Thanks guys! I think I have been cutting the veggies too thin and they are getting limp and soggy.

Bob, I would take her in but since she's not eating my steak, chicken and pork, that's more for me!
icon_smile.gif

I used to put my veggies in a bag with olive oil and seasoning before grilling. I only do that with asparagus now.

I saw this guy in Italy on TV explaining they grill with salt and pepper only over coals from a large fire. They get nice grill marks and you add olive oil AFTER they are cooked and slightly cooled, like a salad. This tastes waay better to do it this way.

I cut zuchini, yellow squash in 3/8" thick slices and cook over high heat. mini bell peppers on skewers are a family favorite.

Try a grilled ceasar--you cut romaine lettuce in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil, salt and grill the cut side quicky on high heat to get some grill marks. Top it with flaked parmesan croutons and ceasar dressing.

You might try roasted peppers if she likes them. I use red or yellow because they're sweeter. High heat, rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.Put them on the fire and let them sit for a bit then turn and keep doing that until they're charred all over. They will actually blow up a little like ballons. Carefully take them off (they're fragile now) and place them in a large zip lock type bag to rest and cool for a while. This will help losen up the skin for removal. Cut them open, get rid of the seeds and they're ready to eat. They can be covered in olive oil and kept in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Homemade roasted peppers are better than any roasted peppers for any price you can buy in a store.

Great topic, Pat. My wife was a vegetarian when we met. First meal I cooked for her was a ribeye. Go figure, she loved it... LOL

She still swings to the veg every-so-often and I used to always, I mean always overcook them. Then I started eating the things and realized I was screwing it all up by overcooking.

Not anymore. I cook them hot, fast, and serve them at about room temp.

If we have zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, or cauliflower, and bell peppers, I typically rough cut (1/4-1/2in cut), toss them in salt, pepper, oil and parsley and covered roast (panned) till tender (20-30min). (First tried this in the oven, but our charcoal toys are just other hot box ;-) This method doesn't leave grill marks, but is dead easy. Did this for a large group of well known meat eaters a couple of weeks ago and it surprised me that it disappeared so quickly. I even forgot to dress it up with the balsamic.

U can steam anything in a foil packet but its tough to get timed just right.

I prefer the wok/basket I got mine from the local green egg dealer for just under $10. My favorites are broccoli and brussel sprouts. I parboil these 5-7 minutes using fresh produce w/ a beef bouilion cube. Drain, then toss in olive oil and a little lemon pepper while still in the pot. Then into the hot grill basket till slightly browned on the outside. Serve back in the pot help bring back inside and leave the grate to cool down w/ the grill. Green beans rule straight in the basket u can oil after they done like a salad or oil as u go. If u use frozen broccli or sprouts no need to boil but understand they aren't as good as the fresh. I've tried it. I parboil and grill potatoes in the basket too! I love veggies on the grill.

Pat,

If you end up with any veggies that are too limp, use them in a vegetable lasagna - wonderful flavors.

And if tyou have any leftovers, use them the same way.

Ray

My daughter is vegetarian and I work really hard to be sure that when we grill that there's always something on that she can enjoy.

Grilled veggies can be a challenge but a little practice goes a long way. I've found that high heat/low time searing works out best. Most veggies like to have a light spritz of evoo folowed by a very light touch of salt/pepper after coming off.

I've been toying with the idea of making some ABTs using seasoned eggplant instead of pork. Then dunk them in seasoned dredge instead of bacon before cooking.

Russ

I always find you can cook veggies over a hotter fire than you would first think. You also don't need to flip as often as you would think. I like the wok basket. Skewers are cool too. Sometimes I put veggies in a bag with a little Italian dressing....then Tony C's.

I think you are right about the thickness of your cuts controlling the outcome. I don't boil, but that's because I hate dishes...I bet it helps with carrots, green beans, or taters.

I tried the just add oil after grilling broccoli and it was not good. I will not be making that mistake again. The oil must assist in searing the outside because without oil on it while grilling it took on too much of a burnt flavor. The florets burned and I really did not like them much at all. I've even cooked them longer on previous occasions with oil and not had the off burnt taste that these had. My girlfriend pounded them then finished mine but she loves broccoli and NEVER complains.

Broccoli is an exception because it need some liquids to cook. Squashes, eggplant, potatoe and even onion have a high moisture content.

I generally do brocolli in a foil packet with olive oil and fresh garlic and onion. Layer the packet with a thin slice of onion on the bottom, then garlic cloves then broccoli. Drizzle with olive oil and a splash of vermouth or white wine. I cook them about 15-20 min over medium direct coals. Gets garlic and onions toasty.

Cauliflower is good this way too or mixed with broccoli

Something I have made several times, and the guests always give me "thumbs up", are root vegetables, baked with some butter, salt an pepper in alu foil. Use anything that more or less grows under ground, and adjust "how long will it take to cook" with "how small shall i cut the pieces." I use union, carrots, leeks, potatoes, (chopped), and other "domestic" vegetables, do not know the english names, anything goes, as long it is grown more or less under the surface of the earth..
icon_smile.gif
" I suggest cooking times in alu foil to 20- 30 minutes, medium heat. Juicy, and if you have the "real estate" on your grill, make a small package to each guest to open. Almost like christmas.
icon_smile.gif
Presentation is important! If food looks great, it tastes great!

We like to grill Potabello mushrooms, just oil and season then onto a med fire. They go great "on" a burger or "as" the burger. The wife likes it when I take a large onion, slice the top off, remove some of the core and replace it with butter and a bit of "Better than Bouillion beef base". Wrap it in foil and put it on the grill for about 30 min. or longer. YUM.

Back