Need expert advice--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
Could one of you more experienced "rib cookers" save me some searching and let me know the recommended lead time to put rub on the ribs.
I've been putting it on the night before, but I'm going to do 7 slabs tomorrow and want to be sure and get it right.

Tom

I try to put the rub on about two hours prior to cooking. When we are doing lots, like 40-60 racks we don't have time. We just put the rub on and into the pit.

I really have not seen much difference. When we used to put it on overnight the ribs seemed a little hammy.

Thanks, Dennis. 40-60 slabs at a lick--I would definitely call yours "EXPERT ADVICE".

We have some nice Oregon folks that winter near us, but I don't know exactly where in Oregon they're from.

Thanks again for your timely response.

Tom

We love to tailgate at the University of Oregon. Usually 200-250 folks attend. Amazing what happens when you give away good bbq and free beer.

Dennis,

I thought those tailgaters were all private parties. Do you mean that you just give away bbq and beer to the parking lot crowd at the games? Thats quite an expense. I guess during the next Civil War, I may have to wander by. Do you serve folks in orange? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I usually do overnite!But a couple of hours would work . as long as it has a tacky glossy finish.
I hit them with a little rice wine vinegar then rub, refrig , then lightly dust before they get trown on

I usually try to get the rub on 2-3 hours before cooking. I have done it both right before cooking and overnight. They both turned out OK, but the best results were the 2-3 hours prior.

Well my Xspurt advice is 30 minutes to 2 hours before cooking. If you want more flavor than that brine or marinade or both overnight. My best judged results have been just good mustard and rub two hours or less before smoking.
HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back