Need an idea

Mikey K

Some friends and I are having a friendly competition and I want to use this opportunity to try something new. Any one have a creative idea for a dish? Thanks

There are tons of ways to go with this. Are there any rules that would shape you choice? Specific meat, specific cooking appliance?

Yeah something that could be done in 4/5 hours, I don't want to do ribs. I really want to step out of the box.

I don't understand the parameters of the competition. Is it just "make the best thing you can in 4 hours"? or are there equipment or ingredient limitations?

That is, if someone makes a tiramisu cake and someone makes cedar planked salmon (both done in under 4-5 hours) then how can you compare them?

How about a grilled garlic stuffed onion? I always get good reviews on these and they are pretty easy to make.

One large onion
20-30 garlic cloves
2 Tbs EVOO
Seasoning to Taste

Take a large, peeled onion (I use Vidalia or Texas Sweet) and carve a cone shaped piece from the top and set aside for later. Just barely cut the root end off so that the bottom is still held together. Hollow out the onion using a melon-baller. Make sure to leave plenty of onion around the outside. Peel 20 - 30 garlic cloves and cut off the tough bits on the ends. Stuff the garlic into the hollowed out onion - pack it full. Place the stuffed onion on a piece of HD aluminum foil and drizzle the whole thing with olive oil making sure to get about half of the oil into the inside of the onion. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning (usually I use Slap Ya Mama). Replace the cone shaped section you saved earlier to seal it up and wrap the whole thing in the foil. Grill over medium coals turning frequently for 45 min to an hour (the whole package will become soft when the stuffed onion is done). I usually cook this alongside BBQ chicken and serve it as a side.

Regards,

John

Variations: You can alter this dish significantly by using different seasoning combinations. I have used lemon pepper and Italian Seasoning successfully. You can also add fresh herbs to the cavity before adding the garlic - basil is my favorite or a mixture of basil and oregano...

Last edited:

Back