Need advice . . .

Bob Hendry

OK - just checked the tracking number that Amazon sent for my new WSM - it's out of the local FedEx warehouse for delivery. I plan to smoke some beer can chicken on Saturday. What do I need to do to get ready? I know I must 'burn-in' the new smoker. How long? And do I need smoke? Or just charcoal?? (I've got a couple of bags of Kingsford that I've been using with my ECB.)

Then, I plan on using about a half can of beer in each chicken. Generally, I add about a tablespoon of rub to the beer, and marinade the chickens overnight in either Ceaser or Italian salad dressing. In the ECB, it would generally take about 6 hours to cook 4 3 1/2 to 4-pound birds. With the WSM, what time should I put 4 chickens on in order to eat at 6 PM??

Any comments or suggestions on the process/recipe would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance - I truly appreciate your help.

Cheers!

A WSM does not need to be seasoned in any way. Since the steel is porcelainized it is unnecessary. Just cook!

Timing will depend on the cooktemp you choose. Do you have a temp you prefer?

Thanks. I usually try to keep the temp at the cooking grate between 225 and 250 and cook to an internal temp of 180 or so - then a 20-30 minute rest in a preheated ice chest.

Are you really from Okeechobee? My dad was born in Okeechobee. Most of my family now live in Hendry County. Small world, no??

Cheers! And thanks for the insight regarding burn-in.

Oops! Forgor to mention that the new WSM arrived as I was typing the message that started this thread. I are impressed! It's actually larger than I expected! And extremely well built.

I gotta new toy, I gotta new toy. Yee-ha!

I have had a small ranch about 10 miles east of town since 1990. I was an exec chef on South Beach before that. Originally I am from Connecticut.

Depending on your actual temps, you're probably looking at 3-4 hours if the chicken is somewhat near room temp when you start. Plan extra time. The chicken will hold in the chest longer if necessary. Enjoy your new WSM and enjoy your cook! Let us know how it goes.

Use to live in Ft Myers. Met a Mr Hendry while fishing at Boca Grande pass. He had a nice boat him and his buddy would put their lines go inside the cabin and pour a scotch. Then reel in some big reds.

DS,

If he was in his mid-sixties, he may have been my cousin, David Hendry. He has a boat and fishes alot. But then again, there's a boatload of Hendrys down in that area.

Kevin,

I was out voted, again! The wife (who ALWAYS opts for chicken . . .), and the kids - when they saw the shiny new WSM - voted for ribs. Aw shucks!
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm guessing 3 - 4 hours at 225 - 250?? Anyone have a prize-wining recipe for a rib-rub that they'd like to share? )been using the All South Rub, which folks seem to like pretty good . . . Always willing to change -> upwards.)

What abour process? Wrap in foil and put back on the WSM for the last hour? Or in a pre-heated cooler? Or just unwrapped on the gas grill for 20 minutes or so??

As alwasy, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Cheers! & stay safe.

Cheers!

Search for the 3-2-1 process for ribs depending on the cut it can be varied.

I get my WSM today too!! I wish I could smoke this weekend but I'll have to wait until next! Let us know how it goes.

Bob,

A good place as any to start is in the "Cooking Topics" in the banner at the top of the page. Scroll down to "Pork" (i'm assuming you meant pork ribs, not beef) and check out what Chris has for ribs. And as Chad said, use the "Search" feature ("find" on this board in another banner near the top). It's a great feature of this board. You'll also find that there's always plenty of help available by just asking.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Bob,

Bill's advice is a very good starting point. Figure out a method you want to use, ask questions if needed, cook then critique your results. Many approaches work and there are many to try if you wish--that's part of the fun for many.

As to your questions: 3-4 hours at the temps you note might work for babybacks (depending on actual temps) but not for spares. Testing for tenderness (I prefer inserting a probe in between the bones--it should go in easily) will tell you done. Time alone won't but can be useful for planning the cook. If cooking at low temps, Chris's experiences (at the Cooking Topics link) wil give you a good idea of timing expectations but, as he notes as well, they are guidelines, nothing carved in stone.

As for me, I have not low/slowed ribs in some time (I like 275 for spares, 325 for backs) but this is a personal preference. In most cases I foil but not always. When I cooked at lower temps--and now, at higher temps--I did not and do not foil by time--I foil by color. When the ribs have become deeply colored, then, I foil, with a little juice blend (usually pineapple and a strong tamarind). I cook in the foil till the ribs are just done or just about done--I don't go by a time figure, I test them--and this is usually 45 min to a bit over an hour for spares, 35 min to 45 min for backs. At this point I remove them from the foil and return them to the grate for 5-7 min or so to firm up. If I am going to glaze I do so at this point--a very thin veneer (I dislike thick glazes and never sauce ribs ahead of serving; I serve sauce on the side), rest a few minutes, slice and serve. (They can hold longer if needed.)

That's my approach but, again, there are many. Have fun figuring out what you like to do.

As for rubs, I make all of mine, usually a different one every time. Here are three I've posted: a butt rub for Jane (good for many pork cooks); the metamorphosis rub (good for many pork cooks; there is variation for chicken downthread; a different sort of rib rub, quite peppery, a different flavor profile than usual. I don't put salt in rubs--I salt the meat first--and rarely use paprika (it's good for bulk, little else, imo). There are many other rub recipes posted in the Rub section as well. Having fun playing with those too!

Dry. For ribs I prefer straight dry rubs. But I do dry-over-paste rubs for butts often--always, these days, for briskets.

Hey Bob and Chad,
How do you guys intend on monitoring the Temperature in your new WSM's? I just got mine last week and can not decide on if I want to use an analog thermometer or a digital probe. I have a digital probe that I will probably use to monitor the meat temperature but I am undecided on how to best monitor the oven temp. The only thing I know for sure is that I am not going to drill a hole in the WSM. If I use an analog thermometer I would be sticking it through the upper vent.
I would like to hear from you guys and others on your opinion. I know that using the top vent will not be as accurate as monitoring the temp at the cooking grate level but it beats drilling a hole to me.
Also, whatever method I decide on I will want to use on my OTG also.
Thanks for your opinions and enjoy your WSM’s. I know I will.

Steve, I started out monitoring temps at the grate and gave it up. I only monitor at the lid anymore. The key is hit the lid temp you want(within reason) and keep the variances to a minimum.I found out this isn't rocket science. It's an art that is improved on each and every cook.

Steve,

I've been using the ol' probe in the potato method on my now defunct ECB. Stick the probe all the way through the potato, and then place the potato on the top grate. This way I can monitor the temp at the cooking grate remotely while watching the game. With the ECB, I'd have to jump and adjust about every 15-20 minutes. It is my hthat with the new WSM, I'll be able to sleep through the night . . .

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I want to use an analog thermometer or a digital probe. I have a digital probe that I will probably use to monitor the meat temperature but I am undecided on how to best monitor the oven temp. The only thing I know for sure is that I am not going to drill a hole in the WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve - Maverick ET-73 by RediChek is a two channel smoker remote probe. One channel is to monitor the cooker temp and the other channel is to montior the food temp. Highly recommended.

There are also eyelets you can buy that replace the rack bracket screws that allow you to use the probes without running them under the lid.

Check out this thread for recent dissussion and a really good source for an ET-73:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/4380001925

Here's the source for the probe eyelets:

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp...ory=36&idproduct=136

Back