Need a Q300 Regulator, but for cheap!

LMichaels, you're treating it like this is an irreversible mod, there's nothing that prevents me from re-using the old regulator if there's no performance improvement afterwards. The last time I tested for temperature, it took 25 minutes to reach 475. That's just too long for me to wait for it come up to temperature.

There are some previous threads that suggest that the Q200 is capable of higher:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6569-Q200-max-temp
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?3035-Q200-with-220-thermometer-installed

I will let everyone know the results when the parts come in.

JKim

I get 550° + easy using a Thermowork's DOT for measuring the grill temp using the Brinkmann regulator and the setup that I bought from Home Depot. Same as the video above.
I travel with the 20# can and Q-Gril every year, no issue's.

Everything's going to workout fine...

Jeff: I am not familiar with the thermoworks dot. Is that a device with a probe that you can set to measure the temps at grate level?

I think 500 degrees on the LID thermometer in 15 minutes should be attainable on a Q200

These are not pipe dream numbers, but rather real-world results that other owners are seeing.

I think 500 degrees on the LID thermometer in 15 minutes should be attainable on a Q200

These are not pipe dream numbers, but rather real-world results that other owners are seeing.

Keep in mind the lid thermometer is horribly inaccurate. I put a brand new (Weber OEM) on my Summit and it never reads more than 400. Yet I know for a fact it is over 400. Any time you can lift the lid and the hair burns off your arms it IS over 400 in there. The Q2XXX is not known as a power house grill due to a low btu per sq in ratio. So even IF your gauge is accurate odds are a 476 reading is more like 550 to 600 grate level. Remember the Q operates on a much different principal than other grills. It uses the heavy cast iron grate as the main radiant element. Depending on ambient temps that grate can take a VERY long time to heat up especially given the relatively anemic burner output on the 2XX.
I have dealt with 2 of them. One modified (because the regulator gave up the ghost completely) and the other unmodified. Side by side they run the same, reach the same temps in the same amount of time and unless I'n dealing with a scorching hot day in the sun and no wind I have never seen over 500 on the hood thermo unless there was a grease fire inside.

Jeff, I have the Thermoworks Smoke which is a dual probe, meat and grate level and it has a remote as well. I figured that the dot was a different version of that.

You lucky dog Bruce, I have the sub-par equivalent Maverick ET733..I hate it.
I bought a few DOT's and they work for now. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out of the Smoke before I buy another duel probe.

I didn't know there were any bugs in the Smoke? I hadn't heard any bad review that indicated any systemic problems. I know mine works great for me and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The Maverick is supposed to be its biggest competitor, but it seems the Smoke gets a little better reviews. They have a "gateway" now that allows you to connect to a network and use your smartphone to monitor temps from anywhere you have a wifi signal. Kinda cool, but I don't need it and the price isn't such that I could justify it.

Bruce

I'm not saying the Smoke has any issues, Thermoworks has by far the best bbq thermometers, timers etc..IMOP.
Ill just wait little longer and see what they come up with.

Yah, I am sure the SMOKE II is just around the corner. Probably will have built in WiFi with some other minor improvements.

My Q hit 520 degrees today in 17 minutes with the conversion to the normal regulator.

26594249748_eaa517c083_b.jpg

YMMV, but advice and opinion are two separate things, folks. carry on and have a great day!

Last edited:

Back