Natural Gas to LP

Conversion charts are very easy to read...

For Propane ....

lets say i would like to know the size of hole to put into a NEW orifices spud for a side burner of the Weber E 320. this side burner is 12,000 BTU.

Start on the far right hand side under LP (Liquid Propane) the column with the 11

Follow the chart straight down the LP section till you find the BTU for EACH individual burner. (VERY IMPORTANT EACH BURNER)

in this case we are looking for around 12,000

when you see the number 11,742 ... this is 11,742 BTU'S

the next number down below that is 12, 322 BTU

Now lets start with the 11, 742 NOW move directly to the FAR LEFT under the column DRILL SIZE.

The number for 11,742 BTU is ( 59 Drill size )

the number for 12,322 BTU is ( 58 Drill size )

So the size of hole to drill into the orifice spud will be 59 for 11,742 BTU

I would try this first ...if you find the burner is NOT warm enough then go the next size.

thanks

Last edited:
Dave in KC

if your looking for the size for the main grill burner.... take the total of the burners...

in my case of my Weber E 320 it has 3 main burners and the main burners specification on this grill is 42,000 BTU

so divide the 42,000 BTU divided by 3 burners gives 14,000 BTU PER BURNER

42,000 / 3 = 14,000

so you will use the chart to find the correct hole to drill for 14,000 BTU

EACH Spud will have the same size hole... always try the small hole first... if the grill is not warm enough more up one size...

thanks

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that total 42K includes the side burner, not just the grill. You need to check if they've included the side burner in that total or they break it out separately

Still nothing there. I didn't realize they had increased the BTU of that model by that much over the B/C 3 burner models

Here is a website with some of the Specifications... https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OBLAR2/tvwb-20

Here are some of the Specs

The Genesis E-320 gas grill features an enclosed cart with corresponding painted steel doors with stainless steel trim, stainless steel handles, and accent colored painted side and rear panels. All grills have a porcelain enameled shroud with a center-mounted thermometer and accent colored painted, cast aluminum end caps. The cooking system, rated at 42,000 BTUs, includes 3 seamless stainless steel burners and an electronic Crossover ignition system.

The cooking grates are porcelain-enameled cast iron. The Flavorizer bars are porcelain-enameled. The primary cooking area measures 507 sq. inches; the warming rack area measures 130 sq. inches, giving a total cooking area of 637 sq. inches.

The Genesis E-320 gas grill also has a 12,000 BTU per- hour input flush-mount side burner. Other features include 6 tool holders, enclosed tank storage area, precision fuel gauge, 2 stainless steel work surfaces, 2 heavy duty front locking casters and 2 heavy-duty back swivel casters. Tank is not included with LP grills and all natural gas grills include a 10-ft flexible hose. Weber cookbook included. Limited warranty.

So you take 42k/3 basically 14k per burner. A number 57 will be about 13k and a 56 would be about 15k I would try a 57 and I bet given the propensity of twist bits to go a little large you should be right on point

Yes i fall on the smaller size first and then using the grill to see if it is cooking as needed. If the larger size is used first and its way to hot of temperature you can't go back and you'll have to reorder new orifice spuds.

I finished last night ��
I replaced the oriface spuds, then adjusted the burner. Used a $14 regulator.
I drilled my own oriface opening with the table L Michael provided.
The drilling of the oriface with a twist drill when you are 65 with a little arthritis was a slight pain but I made it.
I used a size 61 bit (10,000 BTU ) Every thing I read said you would wallow the hole larger than planned.
Tried it ; 750 F in 15 minutes decided to stop there.
Kept the old orifaces so can convert later if needed.
Cost including shipping.
Natural Gas Weber S 330 $100, Igniter module $25.
$30 for 5 orifaces
$14 for regulator
$9 for twist drill set.
$5 for high temp pipe sealant
So for less than $200 I have a S 330 in very good shape, I’m happy
THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED!

Looking forward to some pics John.

750? Yikes! Was that on high?

I had hoped to be able to swap out the orifices in my by now,
but other grills have taken priority. I am also about to shut down
my entire operation, or about 90% of it for the next month or so.
Big preparation project at work, then heading out of town the first week of
May for a presentation. Also kicking things into high gear here for
building a new deck on our house.
The orifice and drill kit may end up sitting here on my desk until
sometime in the fall at this rate.

Back