Napoleon 67745 Charcoal Ring and Diffuser Plate

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard
Pretty good price compared to the Weber version:

UPDATE: Of course it's not a 45" wide grill! 45" is the total length including cart. Silly me, though very misleading.

A bit off-topic... When they say 45", what are they referring to? Grill diameter?

Last edited:
A bit off-topic... When they say 45", what are they referring to? Grill diameter?
I take it as the length of the cart (44.75 inches) 45 and I could be wrong.

Using a kettle consumes less fuel if your smoking smaller portions. I own the beast, the WSM 22 but I use it sparingly based upon the situation, it's great to know I have plenty of capacity when needed. Using the kettle with the SnS for both smoking & searing is great method & now a possibility of using a charcoal ring & diffuser plate will have the ability to use the full surface area of the grill, I just like having multiple options.

But the WSM is a far better smoker, it won't put near the radiant heat on the meats as smoking with a Kettle. I don't care about the amount of charcoal I burn, I care about good barbecue.

But the WSM is a far better smoker, it won't put near the radiant heat on the meats as smoking with a Kettle. I don't care about the amount of charcoal I burn, I care about good barbecue.
Lynn,
I have no doubt you are right, but I have had some great results with my kettles and a Slow N Sear. I have a herd of kettles, but no WSM. This has appeal to me because it gives you more indirect cooking space than the Slow N Sear. Reminds me of how the Big Green Egg I used to have worked.

A845B553-0F2B-42B5-BF21-4E2CFD36BF5C.jpeg
79C59F5E-C43E-460F-B953-4485D8835B83.jpeg

Lynn,
I have no doubt you are right, but I have had some great results with my kettles and a Slow N Sear. I have a herd of kettles, but no WSM. This has appeal to me because it gives you more indirect cooking space than the Slow N Sear. Reminds me of how the Big Green Egg I used to have worked.

There are times when I'd like to smoke one rack of baby backs at higher heat on the Kettle. I've done it before. But the real problem I had with that, was I could not buy just one rack of ribs. They're packaged 3 to a pack , or if St louis cut spares, they're two to a pack. The one rack packages I could find were enhanced or over priced.

And in the end, really, it wasn't hard to fire up the WSM if I did not want to use the Franklin or my old Brazos offset.

I've done at least 3 racks of ribs on a kettle using a Slow-N-Sear and rib holder. This was at our TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet this past summer. I am looking forward to the 2.0 meet. Another member brought his customized WSM, and I have to say I was very impressed with his ribs.

IMG_6937.jpeg

Again, that's too much radiant heat. The WSM will do a much better job.

I can see doing a high heat rib cook on a Kettle, maybe one and 1/2 hours at 350 or higher. But it won't make ribs near as good as a smoker at 275 .

I use the firebrick method on a Weber kettle & I have no problem keeping temps as low as 250 or even 225.
Good Q is very doable on a kettle. It may not be as easy as a wsm - especially if you have a big cook (I've done 4 racks with a rib holder) but it is doable.

Three types of heat ............

Radiant heat - which we call direct heat and use for grilling.

Conductive heat - this is the transfer of heat through matter

Convective heat - which is conductive heat moved through the motion of matter.

For barbecue, convective heat is best. When heated air containing smoke particles moves around the meats, it cooks more evenly, faster, and collects better smoke particles on the surface of the meat.

Yes, no doubt, barbecue meats can be produced on a Kettle, but the WSM is gonna have better convection and less radiant heat, thus, better barbecue. I like a Kettle for grilling, but I want a WSM for smoking. I don't get this trying to make a grill a smoker. Its not like a WSM is priced out of reach of most people. If ya gonna spend $75 on charcoal ring and deflector plate, why not just go ahead and buy a WSM ? ( which btw, there's gonna be radiant heat from the deflector plate that won't be very far from the meat )

Here's a short vid on cooking with radiant heat. But if ya use convective heat of the WSM, ya don't have to go to this trouble of using foil.

Last edited:
That's pretty nice and a fair price. I wish I had seen this before I ordered all the parts to make the version Tom Horsman shows you. I am sure his idea will work fine, but it really isn't that much cheaper. Also, the charcoal ring here, I think, is better than the home-made idea. I wish you could buy just the charcoal ring!

Using a kettle consumes less fuel if your smoking smaller portions. I own the beast, the WSM 22 but I use it sparingly based upon the situation, it's great to know I have plenty of capacity when needed. Using the kettle with the SnS for both smoking & searing is great method & now a possibility of using a charcoal ring & diffuser plate will have the ability to use the full surface area of the grill, I just like having multiple options.
Yep, I sold my 22 WSM and got a 14 WSM. Much less fuel to use and much better for longer cooks than having to tend the kettle. I use my kettle for high heat cooks and the 14 WSM for lower temp, traditional smokes.

Back