Nakedwhiz: Kingsford vs. Kingsford

Just commenting on the last two replies. Really long, sorry.
icon_smile.gif

I think Kevin is right on when he says that gas is Kingsford's biggest competition. If it takes 10 minutes to heat a gas grill and 15 minutes to be ready to cook with the new Kingsford, maybe more people will be likely to choose Kingsford.

The way I was told the story by the R&D guys was that it was the Kingsford product group that had to sell the big-wigs on the new product design and formula, and had to prove with lab test results that it would perform better in order to proceed with the project. The big-wigs knew that Kingsford was the market leader and an iconic American brand, and they didn't want to mess that up in a "New Coke" fiasco.

With all due respect, and acknowledging that we're all entitled to our personal opinions (and having plenty of concerns myself about the state and power of corporate America, which I won't get into here!), I think it's cynical to think that Kingsford set out to screw or manipulate consumers by foisting an inferior product on them and putting less of it in the bag.

I think that for the vast majority of Kingsford users, the "marketing hype" for the new product will be true.

People who grill at high temp will notice that the new product lights faster so it's ready to cook on sooner, and if they're watching the clock maybe they'll notice that it lasts a few minutes longer than before. Since the product is used by volume, not by weight, they'll get the same number of uses per bag as before. And as far as I can tell, the price per bag is about the same. Today I bought the big twin-pack at Costco for $10.99. Last year I think I paid $10.59. I'm now paying more for everything as a result of higher fuel prices, so how much, if any, of that $0.40 can I atrribute to Kingsford's new product? Maybe part of it, because they told me that the new product actually costs more to manufacture than the old product due to the use of more expensive ingredients (presumably more charwood) in the mix.

If you accept the premise that the new product will do what it says it will do for high temp grillers, and they get the same uses per bag, despite the lower bag weight, and it costs about the same per bag, then there's no deception or manipulation, right?

Consider this: What if Kingsford produced a new briquette that consisted only of charwood and starch binder. It lights faster and lasts just a little longer than the old product, but the old 24 pound bag now weighs just 12 pounds, the number of uses per bag remains the same, and the price per bag remains the same. Would anyone say that that was deceptive or manipulative? I think a lot of Kingsford users would call that real progress! My point is that reducing product weight means nothing at all if the product actually does what it says it will do, offers the same number of uses, and the price remains basically the same.

(Pausing to catch my breath...
icon_smile.gif
)

Having said all that, it's possible that new Kingsford will live up to only part of the "marketing hype" for those of us that cook "low and slow". I don't think there's any debate about the "lights faster" part, although we can quibble about "how much faster" depending on the method you use to light it. It's the "burns even longer" part that the jury is still out on.

The best advice of all is at the end of Brad's post. Just keep posting actual results from your own cooking sessions. There's still so much conflicting information that it's hard to really know if there's a problem or if people are now just paying closer attention to things. One person says "less ash", another says "more ash than ever". One person says "really fussy control", another has no complaint.

Frankly, I think we're noticing a lot of variation that has always been there, even with the old Kingsford, depending on your cooker, the way you fire it, the type and amount of meat you cook, your local weather conditions, how often you open your cooker to fuss with the meat or ashes, and a million other factors. We've always had a few people coming on this BB complaining about not being able to get the WSM over 200*F or keep it under 300*F when using old Kingsford, while the vast majority of us had no problems at all. I've personally had experiences where a full ring of the old Kingsford was enough for a pork butt cook, and a few times where I've had to add another 40 hot coals after 12 hours because I was running out of heat. So I think there's always been a lot of variation, and to some extent we're all just more sensitive to it because we're now paying more attention due to the product change.

Only time will tell as those that are interested in the subject get more experience with the product. I hope those that are not interested will just ignore these discussions and find lots of other interesting stuff to read about on the BB.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sorry for the unusually long post. I'm going to bed now.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by craig castille:

After all the debate, angst, and feeling of abandonment about new vs. old kingsford...it's really just time to move on IMO.

JMO.

Amen to that. After doing nothing but reading all these post for a while now, I agree with Chris.....how many variables that were present with the original are being blamed on the new version. Some of the variables mentioned were the same ones I had with the orginal before I went with lump.
I still do use Kingsford for the kettle a lot, but have no complaints with the new version. I have only used it 2 times. It did seem to light faster, but I cant really say for sure about the ash left behind. I don't use the same amount every time, and re-use the leftover fuel. Unless Duraflame comes to stores closer to my house, I'll keeo using the K-ford on the kettle, lump in the WSM.

A lot of people are now using lump in their WSMs. Approximately how many pounds do you use for an overnighter, say a 16 hour cook. I only have Royal Oak avaialable through a hardware store and I think its around $15 or so for a 20 lb bag. Sounds like a significant costs increase over K, new or old ?

Paul

I don't know if this is a significant consideration or not but here goes...

I think Chris is right in almost every respect in his last post.

My only concern with Kingsford...and I haven't even begun cooking yet this season (it's been cold and I am building a "pit shack") so I haven't tried the new stuff...is the smell. The ammonia smell.

Smell receptors in the nose react to actual microfine particles of materials in the air...that's what causes the neurons to fire. When you smell a bad odor, for instance, the simple fact is, in every case, that the lining of your nose is in direct contact with tiny bits of the offensive material.

So what are we smelling when we smell that ammonia? If there is a noxious smell coming off the charcoal, there is something noxious(?) being deposited on the meat...something that our noses say is not particularly appetizing or edible.

What is it?!

Originally posted by Paul G.:
A lot of people are now using lump in their WSMs. Approximately how many pounds do you use for an overnighter, say a 16 hour cook. I only have Royal Oak avaialable through a hardware store and I think its around $15 or so for a 20 lb bag. Sounds like a significant costs increase over K, new or old ?

Paul

Paul,

I get 10 lb. bags of Royal Oak for 5.27 a bag at Walmart, thats roughly 10.50 for 20 lbs. Do you have a Wally World nearby? You might save a few bucks.

Originally posted by Paul G.:

Paul
Paul, From my experience doing a 16 hr cook you'll use about 8-9 lbs of the RO lump.
icon_smile.gif

"With all due respect, and acknowledging that we're all entitled to our personal opinions (and having plenty of concerns myself about the state and power of corporate America, which I won't get into here!), I think it's cynical to think that Kingsford set out to screw or manipulate consumers by foisting an inferior product on them and putting less of it in the bag."

Well, if the topic is brought up...the discussion flows where it goes and the act of questioning is healthy in the USA...

Many of us most certainly do not want to be "cynical" about corporate America but it is interesting to think it isn't about the bottom line...(my wife works in coporate america and she has had a chuckle or two over this issue - at my expense - but she still knows where the pulled pork comes from!)...it's always about the bottom line...whether or not you're trying to please the customer, marketing, and/or competing with gas OR the now very common action of reducing amount while charging the same price...it just is what it is...and corporate is going to give anyone (especially someone in a position to influence many others) what they would like to hear as answers or explanations...either consciously doing so or otherwise...(imagine PR saying..."yes, you got us, we set out to expand our profit margin by...")...they are here to expand their profit margin and make money...again, it's what makes our world turn...and we, as customers, have the power to band together and gather independent information to test their sales pitch...

Again, the change will work its way out one way or the other...it's just change...but change does provide us with an opportunity to question and grow! I know I'm becoming a better smoker due to my experimenting...The best thing we can do is keep posting those experiences in detail...IMO...ASAP...MIA...UFO...AARP...PETA...
icon_smile.gif
Hopefully, after this weekend, I can do that soon with some new lump...

Peace out...

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:

Paul,

I get 10 lb. bags of Royal Oak for 5.27 a bag at Walmart, thats roughly 10.50 for 20 lbs. Do you have a Wally World nearby? You might save a few bucks.

Yes, we have a Walmart here and a Sams nearby. Neither stocks Royal Oak Lump. I think Walmart has the RO briqs - wonder if they would order the lump ?

Paul

Brad,

I agree with everything you said.

Companies are in business to expand sales and make profits. Some use sly tactics to increase profits like keeping the box the same size but reducing the contents and keeping the price the same. Others try to offer improved products that actually work better for most of their customers, in the hopes of selling more and making more profits that way.

Only time and experience will tell us which of these approaches Kingsford has followed. My observation so far is that a lot of effort seems to have gone into the latter approach, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I've got two pork butts in the fridge and 42 pounds of new K in the garage. Soon I'll be adding my 2 cents worth based on actual cooking experience.
icon_smile.gif

Have a good one,
Chris

I’m willing to bet when it all is said and done there isn’t going to be much of a difference between the new and old K for low and slow cooking. My gut tells me the weather will be a bigger factor in a cook more so than new or old K. However, just by Kingsford changing there product has given me the small push to try other fuels and I’m pretty much converted to lump. I haven’t even used up, or even opened my last bag of old K. I’m also willing to bet that 99 percent of the back yard grillers don’t even know or care thatthere charcoal has changed at all.

Originally posted by DW Frommer II:
What is it?!
I'm getting very close to publishing my trip report from my visit to the Clorox Technical Center. Here's an excerpt on this subject.

Regards,
Chris

------------

Some people find the smell of burning Kingsford to be objectionable, especially during the early stages of lighting. The word "ammonia" is often used to describe the smell.

Bob said there’s no ammonia in the product and nothing that would produce ammonia during lighting or burning. Charcoal briquettes give off all sorts of compounds when burned, including sulfur oxides (SOx), nitrous oxides (NOx), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and gases that have no taste or odor like carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2). Bob suggested that perhaps it was the SOx and some of the VOCs coming off the fire in the early stages of lighting that people smell and find objectionable. However, as the fire intensifies, the heat of the fire consumes many of these compounds, which explains why the smell diminishes once the fire gets going.

My reading on the Internet about SOx indicates that it has a strong, pungent, stinging odor, so perhaps it is the major culprit. I’ve also read that burning raw wood results in the release of all the compounds listed above and more. Lump charcoal has many of these compounds burned away during the charring process, which explains why it has less smell when burned than a charcoal briquette that contains sawdust and other heat-producing ingredients like Kingsford.

As a follow-up, I asked if there is a coating or a layer on the outside of a Kingsford briquette that smells funny at first, but then burns away with time. The answer is no. The product is a continuous product through and through.

Back