My WSM Cools Off Too Fast

JRStafford

I get about 2 hours before my temperature starts to get too low. The water bowl blocks me from adding new coals effectively and also blocks me from stocking the coals. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Are you using any certain method like the Minion technique? Without too many details about your smoke its hard to say. I usually have a solid couple hours of fuel left when i finish smoking. I would read up on the Minion method and see if you are missing something when it comes to the amount of fuel or the use of your dampers.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

If your temp continuously drops after 2 hours in your WSM then it sound to me like either not enough fuel or no air causing your coals to go out. I am still a rookie so let the pros advise too.

Hi Jim and welcome aboard.

If you are following the cooking instructions in the Weber manual that came with your WSM, don't. As Alan said, make sure you are properly using the Minion method.

As for the water bowl blocking the charcoal ring, that is a common problem with the 2009, 18 1/2" WSM. I replaced the stock water bowl with a Brinkmann charcoal pan, it gives full access to the charcoal. I also don't use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.

Bob

My wsm is one of the original ones and has a much shallower pan. You might check with Weber to see if it still available. I added coals this weekend and had no problem getting the chute in to add coals.

If your temp continuously drops after 2 hours in your WSM then it sound to me like either not enough fuel or no air causing your coals to go out. I am still a rookie so let the pros advise too.

Sounds like pro advise to me. Something is very wrong. Ten hours in an WSM is very straight forward and almost a minimum. There is no reason at all to be adding coals after two hours. Make sure you have a full ring of charcoal and make sure the water pan is not smothering the coals and that your bottom vents are not blocked. Also, tell us a little more about your method. How much charcoal are you using, when the temp goes down, is the charcoal gone or just out, are you using water in the pan and is it dripping into the fire and putting it out . . . We need more information to help.

Back