My WSM and first smoke!

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
So please bare with me with my lack of photos as this is my first time ever posting with pics. :) Next time I will post more "before"pics before the money shot. (iIs that ok to say on here?)

So I bought this 2004 WSM last week off of Craigslist for $150. I've been wanting one forever but never could find the right deal....thanks James!

My 1st smoke were two chickens....I lit using the Standard Method with Royal Oak Chefs Select Briquettes from Cash and Carry.....two chunks of hickory also.

Stuck a deep fry thermometer through the lid and the temps were pretty rock solid at about 310 degrees...so even a bit hotter I'm sure at the grate (I was going for 350.) Being my first time I didn't want to mess with it too much. Chickens were spatchcocked and cooked on the top grate.....the one that was on the same side as the access door cooked a bit faster and was done at 2 hours. Here's the pic. :)

The other one was done about 15 minutes later but barely hit the proper temp....I didn't like the texture of it and really prefer my chicken closer to 180 (the one in the pic is that temp.) Thanks for looking and next time I promise to have more pics!! Go Dawgs!

The other one was done about 15 minutes later but barely hit the proper temp....I didn't like the texture of it and really prefer my chicken closer to 180 (the one in the pic is that temp.) Thanks for looking and next time I promise to have more pics!! Go Dawgs!

Great looking chicken for your first time! You are really going to love the WSM! Go Dawgs as in Georgia Bulldogs? :cool:

Mighty fine looking first yardbird! I'm sure there will be many more in the near future. Enjoy your WSM.

Great job on your first cook on the WSM. Yes, you should go a bit higher for chicken but you'll get that down next time. And I see you got a nice little stash of charcoal too, get after it! What's next?

Back