My very 1st weber grills

PhillB

I'm not sure which model weber this is I know its an older one. But it was free.

Same with this one I can tell this one is a newer model. It has a little rust here and there. I needed to replace the flavorizer bars on both of them.

These 2 were both pretty much put on the curb to get tossed away. I've noticed a lot people on this forum have found older ones and restored them to make them look new. Hopefully i can do the same.

Awesome! You done did good...

Fix em both, sell one to pay for the parts for the other or save the money for a a used charcoal kettle...best if both worlds...

I have that first one. It has been grilling for 25 yrs and only replaced the starter once.

Think your's might be a bit different if it's that old Tom. The one in the pic looks like a Genesis Silver B if I am not mistaken and I'm pretty sure those were introduced around 2000.

Phill, if you want to know the exact model/year of the grills, look for a sticker/plate with the grill's serial number on it. For the first grill, you have to pop off the handles and pull up the control panel to get to it. Not sure where the serial is on the newer grill.

WRT the flavorizer bars, I always get mine from a guy named RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. His bars are higher gauge than the ones from Weber and they cost less. There are other 3rd party bars on Ebay and Amazon as well. Usually they aren't quite the same quality as those from RCPlanebuyer (thinner gauge or lesser quality Stainless Steel), but a number of people here buy those and have been happy with them.

If you want the ones from RC, shoot me a private message and I'll send you his direct email address and you can save a bit off of what he charges on Ebay. Also, you'd save some shipping costs by getting bars from both grills at the same time as he can send them all in one Priority mail box.

Last edited:
Wow! You got those free? That's a fantastic find. Enjoy owning Weber, it's a great way to go

I have a silver B that looks like the first pic. If I was you, I'd probably buy stainless flavorizer bars and Porcelain cast-iron grates for the newer one, and buy new flavorizer bars for the older one and give it to a friend / family member who doesn't have a decent grill. The silver b cooks really nice - it's the best gasser I've had and I've really enjoyed it. I'd trade up though if the opportunity presented itself. Maybe after giving the new one a test run just to be sure

Yeah I've been looking around on ebay for some, I will shoot you a PM. Here are some pics with the rust that I am dealing with, with the newer one and it looks like im missing the drip pan.

What can I do to fix it. Also I'm not sure if this matters neither grill was registered and I was able to register them on the website. You guys think I should try calling weber up and tell them whats going on?

That rust doesn't look too bad. Try disassembling and hitting with a wire wheel and than go to Eastwood.com and buy something called rust encapsulator. You could than paint over that. Probably outlive you ;-)

As L Micheals stated the Eastwood product is much better and a true one time fix for this type of rust. I have the same one as your newer model and had the rusty bottom pan and back panel coated and then repainted and it looks like new that was over a year ago no rust return so far. I would do the whole box area and be done with the rust.
These are both fine grills so no matter which you sell the other will give you great cooking enjoyment.
Kevin

I found a burgundy silver B at the curb, needed nothing but a minor clean up, had newer stainless grates, cooks fine.
Just don't understand why someone would throw it away.

Back