My version of the MiniWSM...

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
I'll warn you ahead of time, mine is nothing special. No special paint jobs or original innovative ideas. I just used proven idea's I've seen here. I'm not normally a cheap guy favoring quality and performance over price but in this case, I wasn't too sure how much I'd like this setup or how often I'd use it so I tried to keep the costs down while still making a decent end product.

I started with a SJS because I already had one. Even if I was starting from scratch I think I'd still pick the Silver over the Gold. I used a Vasconia pot, partly because that seems to be the best pot for the job and partly because I found one BNIB on eBay for ~$18 shipped. I debated between cutting out the bottom or just drilling a bunch of holes but in the end decided to cut out the bottom. I found a dinner plate was the perfect size to mark out the cut line.

One of the biggest decisions for me was how to mount the drip pan and what to use for a drip pan? Someone here (sorry don't remember who?) gave me what I think is the perfect solution. Use the steamer insert that came with the pot and cut out the middle to fit a shallow pan. I really liked that idea better then some of the other methods I've seen so I went with that. Next up was finding the right pan and once again, eBay to the rescue. I found an Norpro 9" round SS cake pan for ~$10 shipped that worked out perfectly. All of the other odds and ends hardware are SS parts from HD. Lastly, I grabbed a 2" River Country Premium SS Adjustable BBQ Thermometer for ~$17 off Amazon because it seemed like a good compromise between quality and price.

In the end, I blew the paint job and may end up redoing it. I wasn't worried about logos and such but I painted it in a poorly lit area and ended up with a lot of dusting/over spray. Other then that, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

MiniWSM-3_zps3853f89f.jpg

MiniWSM-7_zpse709a292.jpg

MiniWSM-9_zpscf6ea349.jpg

MiniWSM-6_zps9e765611.jpg

MiniWSM-2_zps5b9980cf.jpg

MiniWSM-1_zpsea567f72.jpg

MiniWSM-5_zps80a18a42.jpg

MiniWSM-4_zps6b3a584e.jpg

Another mistake I made that you may be able to tell is when I bent the tabs on the lower vent to mount the eye bolt handle, I bent it a little too much and as a result, the lower vent is very loose now. Thankfully it doesn't seem to effect performance. Because I was using a SJS, I didn't see the need for a charcoal basket but did end up using some expanded metal on a the coal grate to keep smaller piece of coal from falling through and clogging up the vent. Also (not shown) is a cut down peaches can upside down over the vent hole.

As for the results... I end up finishing this thing too late last year for use (November) and just used it for the first time this memorial day weekend. I smoked two racks of St Louis cut spare ribs (cut in half) using a Brinkmann Rib Rack on the top shelf. For the rub I used Meathead's Memphis Dust and tried to use the 3-2-1 method. (Sorry no pics)

As reported, this setup really holds the temp well and found it really easy to dial in a specific temp and hold it there (Something I've had no luck doing with my Performer gold).

I cooked the ribs at 225 and ended up doing more of a 2.5/1.5/.5 with the final .5/saucing done using direct heat on the performer. The ribs had a good tenderness/pull/chew texture. I used Pecan for the smoke and ended up with a really smoky flavor and smoke ring. Almost a tad too much. I was disappointed with the Memphis Dust as it did not impart much flavor but I may have been a little too timid with it?

Over all, while my first effort was nothing to right home about, I think it was a very positive start and with a little tweaking I think I will be able to turn out some really good ribs before too long. I am a happy camper!

Last edited:

Back