My turkey cooked too fast

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
First time using the Franklin offset for a turkey, its done and I've got 2.5 hours till we eat .

How do I hold this turkey for that long ?

Faux Cambro
Take a cooler, dump a few gallons of hot water in it.
Dump out the water
Put a towel on the bottom
Stick the turkey in an aluminum pan, or any pan that will fit, cover turkey with foil, stick a temp probe in it.
Cover it with another towel and it'll stay piping hot for hours.
As long as the temp stays above 140, it's safe.
We do that all the time.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Thermoworks says oven set to 150F (Keep Warm), if that's possible.

Otherwise yeah a prepped cooler like above works. Either way keep a probe in to monitor.

Faux Cambro
Take a cooler, dump a few gallons of hot water in it.
Dump out the water
Put a towel on the bottom
Stick the turkey in an aluminum pan, or any pan that will fit, cover turkey with foil, stick a temp probe in it.
Cover it with another towel and it'll stay piping hot for hours.
As long as the temp stays above 140, it's safe.
We do that all the time.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I've got it in a turkey roaster set at 145* . I'm concerned it will keep cooking ? Its already past done in the breast , it cooked so fast it surprised me.

Love to see some pics of it on the frankiln. When my SmokeFire spits the bit I’m going torture and talk my wife into one of those beauty’s. Hahaha I swear to god I typed try and talk my wife into in of those beauty’s, clearly my phone bumped the plan up a notch. Hahah best spell check ever!!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Love to see some pics of it on the frankiln. When my SmokeFire spits the bit I’m going torture and talk my wife into one of those beauty’s. Hahaha I swear to god I typed try and talk my wife into in of those beauty’s, clearly my phone bumped the plan up a notch. Hahah best spell check ever!!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

I did not get any pics on the smoker. I did get a pic of finished turkey. I went too far with it. Don't know what happened.

But if this smoker had been available when I purchased the Franklin, I think I would've bought this one .......... just $500 more. There's some pics on second page of this thread .

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295572

20211125_103211.jpg

Like others have said, ideally above 140 F, and BELOW your finish temp, will keep it warm and safe, and shouldn't keep it cooking.

That is a nice lookin' bird.

Have a quart of chicken stock simmering at serving time and if the meat looks dry a little stock that's really hot can refresh it a bit.

Good luck, and happy Thanksgiving.

Back