My Thanksgiving 2018 Weber Gas Grill Cook

If you dont truss 'em up, they tend to burn on the extremities (especially wings) and you just don't want them "flopping around" as they spin.

Dang, I just checked temps on my turkey. I checked three different places in the breast and already registering 165. Much higher in the thighs.
I turned it down to one burner on low to stretch it out. The wife ain't happy with me right now. I am not sure why this bird cooked so quick. I have to stretch it out another 30-40 minutes.

The turkey on the grill goes round and round. Not sure if the link from google images works.
AAGduJ2sJZDzWUsWA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AAGduJ2sJZDzWUsWA

No points for me. No cooking shots at all, and I cheated and went with the non-Weber pellet grill
since Weber still refuses to make one.

However, it was great grub. The Pilgrams back East may have served turkey at the first Thanksgiving,
put the Pilgrims in KC smoked briskets.

12 LB prime packer from Costco
Combo for three local rubs
Smoked 8 1/2 hours
Wrapped in pink butcher paper and rested 30 minutes

5dwkMNJl.jpg

YDnqnXul.jpg

8X3RuYzl.jpg

Weber related - I have been under the weather a little the last couple of days,
but spent most of today getting some quality work done. Nearing completion on
my Chiefs OTG, and a nice blue MBH that I aquired recently, and started on a
old early 70's red SJ. I sold the green Silver B I posted a couple weeks ago and
am nearing completion on another just like it. I am doing two Silvers at the same
time again. I want to have them done, and over to my sons house in storage so
I can bring home the black 320 and blue 310 to start the swap.

I have a brisket waiting for the grill. After those pictures, I am hungry for some.

Well my spinning experience was pretty much spot on. We had 2 buzzards. Both same weight. One went in the grill on the spinner the other in convection oven at 310 degrees. Both cooked to just about 150 in the breast in the same time. They got pulled, tented and rested 1 hour. They carved perfectly, they were done to perfection (well as perfect as I guess you can make a dead buzzard). In both cases I did a 20 hour dry brine. not sure of amounts because I tasted as I went but dry brine was regular sugar and josher salt (about equal amounts), dry turmeric, paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, dry sage. They were put in plastic garbage bags and I left them outside in my large grill (nature's refrigerator). If anything they may have been just SLIGHTLY over done. I did not rinse them and they were not salty at all. Actually could have used just a touch at the table but otherwise tasty. I would have much rather those turkeys went moo or oink but otherwise they were well liked.
I think the reason people say to be sure to rinse after a dry brine is because they may not have used "untreated" (not injected with "broth" basically salt water) i.e. butter ball and what have you. These were pasture raised organic heritage breed birds. No injections. The one on the grill also got treated to a little pecan smoke as well.

IN terms of texture of the meat..........no but yes in terms of flavor. The one from the Genesis had that nice hint of pecan smoke on it. I didn't go overboard on smoke just a hint. Some folks like old fashioned oven roasted flavor better (my dad for one) while others liked the one with the "outdoor" flavor more. In terms of leftovers both birds ended up being equally consumed. Leaving one whole half breast (I removed both half breasts from the birds) a task made easier because prior to cooking I removed the wish bones. Allowing be to move the knife freely along the keel bone and follow the rib cage on both sides. So thanks to the generous rest and removal of the wish bones carving was super easy. Anyway there was one half of whole breast left from each bird, the wings were left and whatever little meat was left on the carcass itself. If I was my my daughter I would be putting the carcasses and wings into a pressure cooker and making some delicious turkey soup. Funny how I rather dislike eating turnkey but enjoy the turkey soup. And the 2 half breasts will make very nice club sandwiches. Another oddity. I like a cold turkey club (with bacon of course) but could just as soon not look at another turkey for dinner.
My son in law just sent me a message today telling again how much they're still hearing about how good they were.
I think the dry brine I did added just enough flavor but did not over power the birds with salt/sweet or other flavors. Everything was subtle and allowed the birds to shine

Thank you, very informative. Yes, different people sure do have different preferences! It was good information on the brine too. Thank you very much!

Tim

OK, here is my Chronological Thanksgiving Day Rotisserie Turkey Cook. 13.5 lbs, Dry Brined and cooked a bit over 2.5 hours at 350 degrees.

mNXUPH9.jpg

RU9UlkD.jpg

5v9kZsu.jpg

yZSPql6.jpg

TIvga9O.jpg

auDpzKE.jpg

I8CpsTe.jpg

So Bruce it was ahead of schedule did it still work out really looks tasty.

Making your wings tonight will report back my daughter is home from college and she loves Buffalo. Splitting a batch will take some pictures of both when they are done.

Brian: Yes, it came out fine. I had to turn it down to about 200 degrees for the last half hour and let it rest for almost an hour after I took it off the roto, but yah, it was a great turkey. When I stuck the thermometer in the breast to check the temps, it squirted juice out so far that hit hit my shirt and pants.

I am looking forward to hearing about the Buffalo wings. I suggest you put some pepper in the marinade for someone that is used to buffalo wings. The recipe has an optional 1/4 tsp of cayenne powder, but that and the hot sauce doesn't make them really hot.

Last edited:
You really had that thing trussed up tight. Kinda like an S&M film LOL. I didn't take that much time trussing up so it "flopped" a little. I am surprised you didn't put water down there in that pan. I put water in my pan so any grease drippings would not burn to the pan or through an "off" flavor. Also on the grill I gave SIL I also gave him the custom made flavo bars so I had to take out 3 of them to clear the bird. But no matter because the pan was there.

So wings on the Performer last night mother in-law in town not a spice fan everything turned out great. The wings on the green plate were from the recipe that Bruce had and my only regret was we did not do more of them. The other plate were the Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings which this is the 3rd time doing them and they are a big hit in my house.

rFRaKGY.jpg

Gtaep0W.jpg

For those who don't like really hot wings the recipe Bruce has is really great if it was just my wife and myself I would have use a bit more hot sauce and a little more cayenne but I don't like them crazy hot either even the mother in law had a few of them.

They all look really good. I have another batch of Wings in the freezer, but I think I will save those for a while with all the turkey leftovers in the fridge right now. But, your photos are tempting me to pull them out and get them defrosting.

Back