My Sunday Cook...

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Well, I decided to get me some beef ribs, fatties and chicken for Sunday dinner. Here is what's happening so far...

My Son decided to "school" me on making chicken so he is going to get started soon with some extra wings I have. We will see what he brings to the table... so to speak!
icon_biggrin.gif

Looking good Tony! What kind of rub did you use on the beef ribs? I'm interested in how they turn out, haven't done what I would call a great beef rib cook yet.

Ok, here is where my food stands right now. Its almost ready to come off the smoker...

Now, look at my son go... I am such a proud pappa!
icon_biggrin.gif
He has never used a charcoal starter before and he has mastered the use of heat zones in the grill...

Here are my son's money shots...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Looking good Tony! What kind of rub did you use on the beef ribs? I'm interested in how they turn out, haven't done what I would call a great beef rib cook yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

The rub is just a concoction I made up...

3 Tbsp - Kosher Salt
3 Tbsp - Coarse Black Pepper
3 Tbsp - Onion Powder
3 Tbsp - Garlic Powder
3 Tbsp - Paprika
3 Tbsp - Chili Powder
3 Tbsp - Italian Seasoning
6 Tbsp - Brown Sugar
1 Tsp - Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp - Ground Cinnamon

That's it and it tastes great too!

Tony, everytime I see one of your post I must check it out. You guys seem to do it up right in Indianapolis.

My WSM is sitting there idle right now. Its to perfect a day not to fire it up. I think there is time do up some chicken or something. You've got me motivated.

It's all over now... but because of my faithful consideration of my BBQ brothers and sisters, I managed to get some pics before it all went bye-bye! :lol:

The beef ribs were the best I have done. I was really proud of this batch. Enjoy!...

that looked great. could just about smell it. course i think you better start looking over yer shoulder as yer son is coming up on you quick !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
So Tony, what did your son bring to the table? How did the wings turn out?

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erik,

Checkout the post above. His chicken was really great. This was the first time he has ever used a charcoal starter - yippee! He's not using lighter fluid anymore!
icon_biggrin.gif
He told me that he can really taste the difference and now he wants to go with me to some BBQ contests!

Tony, you and your son should both be proud! If the food tasted half as good as it looked, everyone eating was in for a treat!!!!

No kidding, I could feel my stomach getting full just looking at the pictures. Any difference in cooking time/heat between beef and pork ribs?

Those beef ribs look great, great smoke ring, nice and meaty. Good to see you're kid out there in front of the grill. I was telling my SO's son he should take advantage of living here at the house and pick-up some grilling/smoking tips while he can. He'll be moving out (actually SO and I are leaving the state and he's staying here for school) and he won't have me around much longer to help him from making the big mistakes like burning your food. I don't think he knows how to turn our gas grill on even. You should be proud!

Mitch,

It seems to me that the beef ribs cook about the same as pork spare ribs. The ones I did today were done in 6 hours cooking at an average of 230*. Now, these were not as meaty as some I have seen so, that may be a consideration in the cook time.

Tony, great job. I admire your enthusiasm as well as you bringing your son up BBQ. My big guy who is 5 also gets a kick out of smoking, great stuff to pass on. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you is how long do you put your ribs on the smoker? I have done this twice and mine look nothing like yours. They are usually too tough. Thanks and keep cooking. You`re an inspiration.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
...Anyway, what I wanted to ask you is how long do you put your ribs on the smoker? I have done this twice and mine look nothing like yours. They are usually too tough. Thanks and keep cooking. You`re an inspiration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found that beef ribs take about 6-7 hours depending on how meaty they are. These cooked for 6 hours straight without foiling at about 230* the whole time. They were moist and tender and the flavor was incredible.

Tony-
I put my ribs on for about 4 hours so that explains it I guess. I got some more today to smoke for my Fathers Day Party which I`m hosting for the first time.

Feeling a little stressed considering we are having so many people over, well at least to me... 24 is a lot of mouths to feed and this will be my third official smoke.

I`m smoking ribs and pork shoulder probably on Thursday and over night into Friday morning. Don`t want the stress of doing everything the day off. Just want to warm things up on Sunday and the fact that I have to work in the morning really ways into that decision.

Thanks for the input. One day soon I hope to out together a spread like you.

Peace,
EB

Back