My Snap On fiasco recovery plan: It hinges on this Spirit E-320 SS!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have been searching for quite a while for a grill I can use to salvage my fiasco purchase of a "Snap-On" grill for $100. The Snap-On look, I think, is kind of cool. The piece of junk grill Snap-On chose to put their faux cabinetry and logo on is a whole different story.

VzquTIG.jpg

I did a purge a while back, and I sent the junk, rusted-out parts from this stupid purchase to the scrap yard run by the maintenance department in the community I manage.

8H76csn.jpg

I kept the Snap-On "tool box" fronts and, of course the logo (cheaply made:mad:). In considering options, I concluded that the 2009-2012 3-burner Spirit was the right grill to try and adapt the leftover parts to create a "Weber Snap-On" grill. I am hoping that if I can get enough of the Snap-On look while using a Weber as the platform that I will create a much more salable grill.

Why this Spirit?

G8oLg9H.jpg

Lurking underneath all that low grade stainless is the very LAST GASP of the original, classic Genesis we all love. Weber carried over the Genesis firebox and the original E-W burner/cross-over ignition configuration for one last run on this grill. Running through 2012 that works out to over a 25 year run for this basic design. WOW, George, that is pretty amazing!

YfwKUmk.jpg

My plan is to replace the cabinet doors with the Snap-On tool box fronts. Then redo everything to make it look as good as possible. This will be aided by the interchangeability of parts of which I have many accumulated. This grill came with Weber OEM stainless rod grates. I will definitely re-use those though probably not on this restore.

VoLMq6O.jpg

The good news, besides the grates, is that this grill has a decent looking side burner, unique knobs, and some other parts.

0CnQGY1.jpg

EyuudxK.jpg

The bad news is that the bottom of the cabinet is a lost cause. The flavorizers are shot and, of course, the electric start and gas collector, too. I guess you can't get it all for $60. I was able to use more "Amazon Discover points" and get a new igniter set and new burners with no cash outlay. I already have a set or two of new stainless flavorizers, including a set from Qlimetal that I am pretty impressed with.

3zr56CR.jpg

My plan includes repainting everything that is black Snap-On red. Maybe even swap out the hood with a red one. Hopefully I can finagle a deal from Weber on a replacement for the bottom. I registered the grill already and will call them. If not, I will have to either bite the bullet and raise my price or find a second Spirit that has a usable bottom and other stuff I can part out for further use since many fit Genesis Silver grills.

One last interesting feature of this grill is that the slide out drip tray in this grill was redesigned to work like the one on the Genesis 300 series grills. The drip pan is held in a holder attached to the cabinet and is off to one side.

ImtHcQt.jpg

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. Probably many would say again to cut my losses and run. I think it will be a fun and unusual project and up my alley. I am also extra glad it is based on a WEBER grill rather than some other brand.

Last edited:
As long as you keep the accountant hat in your office and look at it as a hobby project, I think you will come out OK. I don't think you will get rich on this one, but it will something you can take out of your bucket list.

That's actually pretty cool! Too bad it is local pickup only...or maybe that is a GOOD thing. I love the Weber Rd address. That's where I need to live:cool:.

Looks like a very complex project Jon, but if anyone can pull it off it would be you. Looking forward to seeing the completed grill.

Looks like a very complex project Jon, but if anyone can pull it off it would be you. Looking forward to seeing the completed grill.

Rich,

I guess it is my lot to be the resident "over-the-top-try-anything" person on this site:rolleyes:. I don't know if I can do it, but what I see in my imagination I think will be an out of the ordinary grill but still a WEBER. A LOT better than the junk grill Snap-On slapped their logo on. I especially like that inside it is still the classic Genesis that we all love. Hopefully, I can pull it off and find the right kind of buyer. I have actually seen a couple Snap-On grills that languish on OfferUp, etc. They want $500 or so. I would have thought there would be more enthusiasm, but once you get over $300, I think you lose a lot of potential buyers.

You and Barb continue to be on our hearts and in our prayers.

Here's my competition

$700 Brand New Original Snap-On Grill

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/357578565019297/

There's an identical one listed for $800 by someone else.

Here's a bigger, grander - but used - one down to $425 and still not sold.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/636140132/

Maybe not being Snap-On red hurts, although I actually like the black which is what color my HF knock-off US General tool carts are.
p.s. I LOVE my US General tool carts that I got for just $99 a piece.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-4-drawer-black-tech-cart-64096.html

Last edited:
SnapOn does not have the same panache now that they too have sold out their name and product line to Chinese. Now you see the SnapOn logo and name on everything from disposable diapers to badly made power washers. It's no wonder the memorabilia does not sell anymore

Hahaha, Larry, I saw those $99 SnapOn Power washers at Menards the other day. My first thought was, here we go, Another American Icon selling out to the the Chinese.

I just think it is a bad idea for a company with the elite rep of Snapon to associate themselves with cheap and inferior products.

At $99 they are cheap, but I cannot say for sure they are inferior, but they are certainly not using the same business model for the pressure washers that they use for their wrenches.

SnapOn does not have the same panache now that they too have sold out their name and product line to Chinese. Now you see the SnapOn logo and name on everything from disposable diapers to badly made power washers. It's no wonder the memorabilia does not sell anymore

Larry,

I hadn't realized until reading some of your comments that their reputation was slipping. Unquestionably, slapping logos on poor quality stuff is a very bad idea. If their actual tools are also slipping, that could spell serious trouble for them. I am an accountant and not a life-long tools guy. All I can say is that I fail to see what my $99 US General tool cart lacks that could justify a price 6 or more times higher for a similar Snap-On. I am not saying they are the same, but mine has a solid feel, nice tray opening action and I think looks really sharp. For someone like me, I think it is the way to go. Even used Snap-On carts are at least 3 or 4 times as much.

Jon, I completely agree. I have a lot of HF stuff, but there is clearly a difference between HF and SNapon. Just not 6 to 10 times the difference. I don't own any Snapon stuff, but I do own a couple Dewalt products, Craftsman and some other mid tier products and I am happy with them all at the prices I purchased them at.

But Snap ON has always been the cream of the crop and putting their name on any product that doesn't live up to that reputation only serves to tarnish that reputation and is a bad move in the long run.

Yeah it really is slipping. Many techs are beginning to go with other products like MAC, Matco, Cornwell, etc. Not quite the panache SnapOn had but solid tools that work

Jon, I completely agree. I have a lot of HF stuff, but there is clearly a difference between HF and SNapon. Just not 6 to 10 times the difference. I don't own any Snapon stuff, but I do own a couple Dewalt products, Craftsman and some other mid tier products and I am happy with them all at the prices I purchased them at.

But Snap ON has always been the cream of the crop and putting their name on any product that doesn't live up to that reputation only serves to tarnish that reputation and is a bad move in the long run.

I would think the difference in tools is probably more pronounced, although I think HF's top line Hercules stuff looks and feels pretty decent. I have a few DeWalt cordless tools and few other things from others. It would be interesting to see a real long-term test of Hercules vs DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. on some of the popular tools.

Have you ever had opportunity to really look at HF's US General tool cabinets? To me they are way better than the Craftsman ones that are being sold today and half the price or less. For $200 it transformed my little shed into a much more organized and functional space.

Bang for the buck you can't go wrong with HF tool boxes and cart's. I've been using on in my shop at work for a few years now.

Yup, and there's always a HF coupon here that you can use and that makes it even more appealing.

Back