My Rib Technique: what is yours?

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I have learned just about everything I needed to know from Stogie who was my first mentor and then of course this board as well as from bbq competitors, hobbyists, etc.

I was a staunch anti foilite but after reading that Jim Minion got good results and now uses it I thought differently.

I now use somewhat of a combination of several methods.

I rub just before putting the ribs on the WSM, minion method at 225 -235 degrees.

St Louis style ribs I cook until there is a light crust on the ribs from carmelization anywhere from 2.75 hours to 3.25 hours.

Then I wrap tightly with NO liquid or sugar at all for 1 hour up to 1 hour and 10 minutes.

I then let them rest in the cooler for 2 hours.

I finished them with a glaze at the end on the grill or in the broiler.

I believe that the resting seems to tenderize them out evenly as I have pulled them after the one hour of foiling and there have been tough edges on them before. But let them rest and they soften up.

So this is going to be my technique until I find the next good one that works for me.

What is your technique?

Special thanks to Stogie and Jim Minion.......

When you warp them, I'm assuming that you put them back on the wsm. When you rest them, do you leave them wrapped?

Also, when you wrap ribs, do you wrap a couple racks at a time or do you wrap each rack seperate?

When you wrap them, I'm assuming that you put them back on the wsm.
Yes I put them back in the WSM after I wrap them....

When you rest them, do you leave them wrapped?
Yes I leave them in the foil wrapped.

Also, when you wrap ribs, do you wrap a couple racks at a time or do you wrap each rack seperate? I wrap each rack separate...

Let me know if you try it this way and how they came out.....

Jeff
The only real difference is I do add a little juice , I like what a little pineapple does for the overall flavor print.
Nice post.
Jim

Jim,
Do you think the bromelain in the pineapple juice adds anything to the tenderness of the ribs or does it just add a nice flavor??

Al

I use pineapple juice in mine also. The recipe I found several years ago said pineapple or orange. I have used OJ twice in my cookings and didn't like the results. I think the ones I do in pineapple are more tender and flavorful. Of course it is all opinion.

Jeff have you ever rested them in the cooler after foiling and glazed after an hour or two?

I hope Jim chimes in as I want to hear his answer.

real rookie that I am...if you are following this technique, at what point and how does one add the pineapple juice?

The technique would be as follows:

ribs in the wsm for 2 hr 45 minutes to 3-3.5 hrs

Then take them out and add a little pineapple juice and then wrap in the foil tightly. Put back in the wsm.

cook for up to 1 hr and 10 minutes max.

put in cooler with foil still on and rest for 1-2 hours.

Take out of the foil and then glaze and finish on the wsm, grill or broiler.

Let me know if you try this and how they come out.

Jeff
I don't use enough pineapple juice to effect tenderness that much, I'm looking for the flavor print.
The first part of the cook my times are about the same but what determines the lenght of that part is the color of the ribs (nice carmelization). The amount of time to get to the color I'm looking for will determine the lenght of the foiled section of the cook. With ribs I'm not looking for a long rest period just give myself enought time to be sure there done within my serving window. I will remove from foil and glaze then to the table.
Jim

I have read the information regarding Spareribs vs. Loin Back Ribs, will this recipe work for either?
My wife is not a huge rib fan; she tends to like the pre-cooked Lloyds from Costco (which I am not a fan of).
I was going to try this smoke method and also rotisserie two racks? Can I do both types of ribs for both cooks or do they cook to differently for that?
And then the “glaze”, is that using BBQ sauce?
Thanks for all your help!

BabyBacks take a couple of hours less cooking time than spares other wise the technique is the same. The glaze I use is a mixture of sauce, honey and some hot sauce.
Jim

Ok, I continue to struggle with ribs! I just need to come and watch an expert!
I got the WSM humming along at 225 using the minion method...So the problem lies with ME of course
icon_smile.gif

I removed the membrane and gave the ribs a healthy rub, probably too much in retrospect. The ribs went on and cooked at 225 for 3 hours at which time I removed them and foiled them with a little pineapple juice poured over them. They were in the foil for 1 3/4 hours, and then I removed them and finished them off on my kettle. So here are my questions you can help me with...please...
1) What am I looking for after the first smoke period to know when to move to the foil?
2) What am I looking for to determine how long a foil period is necessary?
3) How hot a fire do I want for the glaze period? And am I just looking to use the glaze period to crisp them up in appearance with the sauce?
I will say that these ribs were very tender, but not too tender. I think as far as flavor goes my only problem was too much rub. I would like to have let them rest a while prior to finishing them off but time did not allow for that this time. I know this is not an exact science, and I am enjoying the practice, I was just wondering what people look for, if it can be explained at each of these stages?
Anyhow, as always thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom with me. My family loves pork butt so much they would be happy if I just cooked that…but I must conquer ribs and brisket! One thing at a time of course. I throw in a good pork butt or some smoked salmon between my other efforts too keep the natives happy.

Todd
1. It's about the color, should be a rich brown.
2. This is the point where tenderizing is being done. Take a toothpick and slide into the meat between the bones, should feel like it is being slid into warm cube of butter.
3. I don't crisp up but just allow glaze to set.

I'm teaching a class on March 19th in Puyallup if you want to see it first hand let me know.
Jim

Yep, I'm planning on being there. I will get your rib scoop in person, and any chance you will show me how to inject a Butt? I've been waiting to see what will be involved in the class on the WBBQA site; I have 3 or 4 guys at work who are thinking about it as well. Thanks for the help as always.

Jeff, I have never let my ribs set in foil. That is not to say it wouldn't be good. But once they leave my smoker they are making tracks to my stomach.
icon_biggrin.gif

I smoke mine for 3 hours then foil with pineapple juice for at least 80 minutes. I then take out of the foil and put on the wsm for another hour. Half way through that hour I put on what ever sauce I am using.

Jim, didn't think I used much juice. If I get the small 8oz cans I usually split it between 2 slabs so about 4 oz. If I can't find the small cans I get the larger can so I may get more than 4oz sometimes. Maybe they aren't actually any more tender with the pineapple juice. I know what you mean by the flavor print though. It is distinct and you miss it when its not there. Maybe they just seem more tender.
icon_wink.gif
Instead of an optical illusion, more like a taste illusion.
icon_biggrin.gif

The couple of times I used orange juice the total flavor was soo much different that they just didn't taste right almost. All I know is I am not wavering anymore. only pineapple for me. Well now that you mentioned it I would like to try apple. The only time I used orange is when sams didn't have any pineapple and I didn't want to make another stop. So I just bought orange and regretted it later.

Does apple leave a flavor print as you put it?

Jeff Miller
Apple does not do as much for that flavor print as pineapple in my opinion, but give it a try and see what you think.
Jim

I'm going to have to try pineapple the next time I do spareribs. I always do two racks, so it will be a good chance to do a side by side comparison. The way we love pineapple, I can see them going first.

I put some apple juice along with onions, apple slices & rosemary leaves in the foil. I think it adds flavor (along with tenderization) because all that stuff goes good with pork chops and pork loin, also the onions get carmelized real good too for side items. It's worth a shot...

Back