My one day Genesis Silver B 2003 overhaul

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
I asked on a thread here a few weeks ago how many charcoal heads do have "Gassers" and what you use them for.
I gave away my gas grill back in 1998 when I bought my performer.
I went and looked at the new Genesis and they are sweet and expensive. I decided if Lowes ran an 18 month no interest sale I'd spend the money. But seeing all you that have done such awesum work bringing these older grills back to life I started watching CL.
While on vacation July 1st I checked the listings in the morning and found a used grill for sale, I asked a few questions and decided to go see it that evening. Of course it was pouring rain and I bought it took the lid off in the rain and layed it into the back of the burb.
That night I read the manual on line for maintenance and the next morning took it apart, I found the crossover burner tube had a crack and both lid cast sides had a few of the holding nut towers broken.
The first picture is the grill all disassembled and powerwashed.
IMG_07051.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I sanded any rust on the frame and painted with rustolem's rust converter paint. I buffed out the lid and reassembled everything but the burners and lid.
IMG_07071.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I had called weber and ordered the needed parts and both warming racks (they were missing), and a cover. They replaced the cast and the cross over tube free. The parts arrived via fedex yesterday. Well all but the crossover tube. I put the side's on the lid. (sealed them first)
IMG_07221.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_07231.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
It's still waiting for the tube but is parked in the stable.
You all asked for some finished pictures.....though not totally finished, here you go.....

Last edited:
Here it is with I'm thinking the first cover it has ever seen.
IMG_07371.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and now for the finished product (less the burners)
IMG_07381.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Griddle fits great....
IMG_07421.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_07401.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_07411.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_07431.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh and did I mention.........it's all your fault!

Also 3 days later 7/4 when I was at Lowes getting some blue they were offering 18 months no interest financing "missed it by that much 99"

According to the weber website you need part number 7517. I old call them and confirm before ordering. With your setup there is nothing you can't cook outside now. With that griddle you definitely have t try some breakfast. Where did you get the griddle?

I've picked up half a dozen from CL for free this spring. It's a fun hobby. But I gotta ask.... That handle? One I haven't seen before.

Looks great and that's awesome Weber replaced the cracked crossover for free. You won't regret spending less money than buying new once you get to using it.

I have the genesis that you speak of from lowes, and I would rather have yours. Excellent work, you have a great grill there. Enjoy.

According to the weber website you need part number 7517. I old call them and confirm before ordering. With your setup there is nothing you can't cook outside now. With that griddle you definitely have t try some breakfast. Where did you get the griddle?

Curt I watched CL for the griddle, I wanted a large one for Breakfast!
Your good! if I get the crossover tube I plan on doing breakfast out back next Sat. morning. Please stop up! Oh...... and do not send up any more of your rain!

I've picked up half a dozen from CL for free this spring. It's a fun hobby. But I gotta ask.... That handle? One I haven't seen before.

The handle is one of those that has two light's in it to help you with the evening cooks. Previous Owner put it on. It has a pretty comfortable grip.

Chris they replaced both cast sides of the lid also. They were surprised I took it apart as they usually replace the center and side's together!
You get what you pay for!
Weber rules!

I have the genesis that you speak of from lowes, and I would rather have yours. Excellent work, you have a great grill there. Enjoy.
John I really had no intrest in a gasser until I joined this site and looked at how many had it as finish piece fot the outdoor kitchen. I picked up Webers new book "Smoke" and they suggest what Weber grill to use for what recpies they show in the book. Pretty neat. Your grill is one pretty looking piece!
This way I'll see just how much I'll use the gasser with a smaller investment.

You're really giving me inspiration, I want to do that.
Mike those Webers were built like a tank, plus you can get any parts needed. It really was not all that hard to do. I really quite enjoyed it.
All the fantastic restores I saw on this site lead me in that direction. Keep an eye on CL or garage sales. Most owners have no idea that they are so easy to bring back to life!
Good luck!

Hey we dud see the sun for a few minutes today then it rained. Now you have to invest in some cast iron skillets and a dutch oven. It will make cooking easier. As a lifelong Buffalo Bills fan I do hope to see a game up there someday. I have never had the privilege to see your fine state. Let us see pics of the first cook.

You also need a ribolator from Cajun Bandit! Here is my video of using on my Silver B for the first time. By the way I love your rebuild, mine is a 2001 and will need to be rebuilt at some point, it is my weekday grill while the rest are weekend grills

Back