My new project Q1200

Well, I've finished all the super cleaning etc and I think it came out great! Even the cover and plastic pieces cleaned up nicely with 303 spray. Considering how gross it was when I brought it home. Got the grates all cleaned up and seasoned, althought tomorrow I will get them good and hot for curing on the Genesis. I hooked up the gas, the starter was a bit weak but it did fire-however, after hearing the gas ok and lighting up, it quickly went out. Several fires resulted in the same thing. The reg hose is very rigid and I wonder if the hose and/or regulator is no good. Another effort tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4345.jpg
    IMG_4345.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 10
Always best to troubleshoot with a 1lb bottle that it was designed to use.

Actually, I think you need the 14oz. bottle. I see the ring in the back and the unsupported regulator. You could have a faulty regulator and may opt to replace it with a regulator and hose combination.

I agree with the above about using regular one pound bottle. If that doesn't work consider a clogged valve or orifice

There are a few of what I think are pretty good write-ups explaining these kinds of problems. Here's one from 2014:

I wondered if it had worked with that hose, and ("assumed") it had at some point, judging by the mess left inside it. A hose would be nice at home rather than the bottles of course. Just took these photos early after dog walk, but will likely be in for a new hose at least. May run down and get a cylinder:

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4347.jpg
    IMG_4347.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 6
Bob, the shorter the hose the better. If the hoses are long and take a long time to fill up, it takes too long for the gas in the tank and hose to equalize before the OPD kicks on.
Also, ensure the valve is CLOSED prior to opening the tank. Open the tank valve first and opening it slowly is best, wait a couple seconds and then open the burner valve. Shut it down in the reverse order. Grill valve, then tank valve.

Bruce, I'm thinking about going with a new shorter hose for safety sake-not sure how old that one is, and as Larry has always indicated propane isn't something you want to fool around with. Plus, I hate the idea of using and then having to constantly dispose of those small cylinders, despite there potential of being refilled-not for me.

Bob, I hear you. This is my setup. It is about a 3' adapter hose. I never have an issue with it. I have run Q's with a regular hose and regulator as well after removing the built in regulator and as long as you get the right hose/regulator, those set ups work great as well.

1702233347689.jpeg

Here's the final update on my project Q.Wife picked up a new hose today actually, genuine Weber for Q rather than a Mickey Mouse one. Hooked it up, turned on as Bruce had outlined and voila! Nice blue gas flame. Used my smoke and grate sensor, and this little thing had no problem at all going up over 500 degrees in short order! Got the grates all baked in and seasoned, so its ready to go for our first cook this weekend-likely burgers to start. Total investment on this little jewel is about $40! Not bad for a castaway headed for the dump. Will take some photos of the cook but look forward to many more uses.Thanks to Bruce, Ed, Larry etal for the help and encouragement!!

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 7
Final update after 2nd cook. Added in smoker box with cherry chips and fired up, heated up very quickly and aroma great! Added a chicken breast which cooked to perfection, finished with wife's gourmet salad. Think Bruce is right, I'm already liking this little gem!

Attachments

• IMG_4357.jpg
    IMG_4357.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 4

Back