My new (nearly new old stock) Genesis 1000

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
Although there is almost absolutely no reason for me at my age to want to add another 13 bar grill to my small condo courtyard, it is now here.

I had seen in the FB marketplace “sold” listings a couple of weeks ago that I had missed a green platinum lid which had gone for free attached to a so-so Genesis 1100, and it was very near me. Then, I saw an even closer black lid 1000 which the owner described as having been used less than 5 times, his wife had bought it for him but he didn’t like to cook, and it had been in a garage unused for all these years.

I was the first to respond to the ad, looked at it and was amazed to see that he wasn’t exaggerating. He helped me disassemble it and load into my car, and it came apart (and later went back together) with no difficulty, just like it was coming out of the box when new.Aslisted.jpg

He said he had never refilled the propane tank, so I connected it and it lit up on the first push of the igniter, on 25 year old propane.

The first pictures show it as it emerged on to my garage floor…. I don’t like the fade(?) on the top left of the lid, it looked like someone had spilled something on it and left it there. Typically, the fade did not disappear.

IMG_1033.jpgIMG_1034.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_1046.jpgIMG_1047.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1051.jpgIMG_1052.jpgputbacktogether.jpg

Two weeks later, the black lid was put on our 3000 and sold with it, and the 1000 now has a really nice red lid. It now has a set of 9930 grates and stainless flavorizers, and I’ve cooked on it almost as much as the original owner, and love it!

now.jpgnow1.jpg
What next? Virtually nothing, unless I can find some slider parts to add a second drop table and put sliders on both sides. And, oh yes, burn off all the 25 year old propane and then put a QCC1 fitting on the regulator.

Since I’ll be 88 in August, this will probably be my last bring home grill, keeping only it and our existing Junior, and selling off our Gen 1100 (could this be the source for all the slider parts?).

Last edited:
Very nice for sure. Barb and I still have our 1998 LX1000 now modified to a 2000 we bought new. When I restored it I made it back into the work horse it is. Barb and I and three teenagers used the heck out of that grill. Next to our E320 sidewinder it gets the most use out of the other six grills we have.

DSCN2766.JPG

Very nice for sure. Barb and I still have our 1998 LX1000 now modified to a 2000 we bought new. When I restored it I made it back into the work horse it is. Barb and I and three teenagers used the heck out of that grill. Next to our E320 sidewinder it gets the most use out of the other six grills we have.

View attachment 95264
Always love hearing from people that bought their Weber brand new 20-30+ years ago. So
Cool! Still looks fantastic Rich👌🏼

I’m really liking this little used and well kept 1000, but I miss all the table space I had from double drop down tables I had in previous x000s. In fact, I had less space here than in our Jr…..
I have the remains of a 02-03 silver B frame, and I cut down the caster frame to make two extensions similar to what came from the factory on early Genesis 1s. They slipped easily into place and are secured with some copper shims I had laying around .
SWE!
Next will be to replace the rod in socket drop table support with a slider..,.

IMG_1126.jpegIMG_1128.jpeg

Back