My New Drum

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
IMG_2142.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_2144.jpg

Doing a test burn now. Holding at 225 - 250 pretty constant.

Nice job....Can I ask if those nozzles on the bottom are the air vents? if not, what purpose?

thanks.

James

Originally posted by patrick sullivan:
Does the Weber top fit perfectly on a barrel, or did you have to do some mod to it?

Pat

This drum needed the lip cut off for the lid to fit. All drums are different apparently. This drum was new and never used. I got it from a friend.

Here it is before I started.
IMG_2096.jpg

Originally posted by Brian Berz:
Looks great - Did you build it or buy it?

I built it.

I basically followed this post and a couple others.

I just kind of adjusted as needed for my drum.

I have not built a charcoal basket yet.

I used the two Weber charcoal baskets from a Performer to sit a rapidfire charcoal grate on.

I used the charcoal ring from my 18 1/2 WSM also.

Nice job on the drum!

Just a heads up for future builds, here is what I do instead of cutting the lip off the drums.

I sacrifice the top 1.5" of the kettle bowl and make a flange that will fit in either an open or closed drum, allowing me to use the drum lid or Weber lid securely.

100_2083.jpg

100_2085.jpg

100_1640.jpg

100_1644.jpg

100_2205.jpg

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
Nice job on the drum!

Just a heads up for future builds, here is what I do instead of cutting the lip off the drums.

I sacrifice the top 1.5" of the kettle bowl and make a flange that will fit in either an open or closed drum, allowing me to use the drum lid or Weber lid securely.

I think I saw your pics while I was researching my build.
The drum I have must be an odd size or something.
Before I cut the lip off, I took a Weber kettle and set it in the drum to see if this mod was possible.
The entire kettle fit in the drum, meaning if I cut the top off to make the flange, it would have just fallen in.

I went around the edge of the kettle lid with a pair or channel locks and bent it out and then sat it on the drum and used a rubber hammer to persuade it back in place.

The lid doesn't need to be air tight but it can't have enough holes to let the draft change from bottom to the top.

Drum3.JPG

Back