My local store had Flanken Style Ribs!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I got so excited when I went out earlier this week to the store and they had these. I have never been able to find them in the store. The only time I have had them was when my family got the online/delivered for me.
IMG_20210730_170042698.jpg

IMG_20210730_171211131.jpg

Followed the same recipe I followed the first time.

IMG_20210730_171439939.jpg

I put a little piece of pecan wood below the charcoal it smoked a lot!
IMG_20210730_174655702_HDR.jpg

Keep the kettle between 350 and 375 flipping every 5 mins, and I pulled them after 25 mins. All were reading above 160 at this time.
IMG_20210730_175536347_HDR.jpg

One of the smaller ribs did not make it to service. Shoot, It hardly made it to the serving tray. I read an article that said Flacken Style Ribs are the beef version of chicken wings. Well, I agree! This one was so much fun to eat, it was hot and I was burning my fingers, it was an amazing mess.
IMG_20210730_175955136_MP.jpg

The bigger two did make it to my plate and the other smaller one made it to my daughter's plate.
IMG_20210730_180233969.jpg

This IS my favorite beef dish!!! The beefy/salty/fatty natural taste of the meat, with the sweet and savory of the rub, and the chewy bite from a "tougher" cut all together is prefection to me!

They only problem is that I didn't buy more, what was I thinking!!! Let's hope this is become a normal stocked item.

Very nice! Outstanding marbling as well. I have never come across these in the store or butcher, could be regional. Just a thought, what about trying them on the rotisserie in a basket next time.

Those look great! I look for that cut when I hit the store after a friend of mine told me about them. Not very common here, same with any other beef ribs.

Looks good.
I don’t recognize the cut but I picked these up today, and I have no idea how to cook them and make sure they are tender when they are done. I would like to think the colour of steak would be nice or some pink at all but someth8ng tells me it will be tough if I cook it like a steak. It was the most tender looking out of the bunch.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 15
I got so excited when I went out earlier this week to the store and they had these. I have never been able to find them in the store. The only time I have had them was when my family got the online/delivered for me.
View attachment 33837

View attachment 33838

Followed the same recipe I followed the first time.

View attachment 33839

I put a little piece of pecan wood below the charcoal it smoked a lot!
View attachment 33840

Keep the kettle between 350 and 375 flipping every 5 mins, and I pulled them after 25 mins. All were reading above 160 at this time.
View attachment 33841

One of the smaller ribs did not make it to service. Shoot, It hardly made it to the serving tray. I read an article that said Flacken Style Ribs are the beef version of chicken wings. Well, I agree! This one was so much fun to eat, it was hot and I was burning my fingers, it was an amazing mess.
View attachment 33842

The bigger two did make it to my plate and the other smaller one made it to my daughter's plate.
View attachment 33843

This IS my favorite beef dish!!! The beefy/salty/fatty natural taste of the meat, with the sweet and savory of the rub, and the chewy bite from a "tougher" cut all together is prefection to me!

They only problem is that I didn't buy more, what was I thinking!!! Let's hope this is become a normal stocked item.

Looks good.
I don’t recognize the cut but I picked these up today, and I have no idea how to cook them and make sure they are tender when they are done. I would like to think the colour of steak would be nice or some pink at all but someth8ng tells me it will be tough if I cook it like a steak. It was the most tender looking out of the bunch.
Same as Michael. Korean or Flanken style are similar if not the same.

Looks good.
How thick are yours? I looked at Malcolm Reed's recipe:

https://howtobbqright.com/2019/09/19/brown-sugar-chipotle-flanken-short-ribs/

Before I decided and feel in love with the recipe I went with:

Either way thin or thicker, they both say to cook them more done then we normally would for a steak. I little of me hates that I love these ribs so much because they are cooked to "well done", but I really do!
My recommendation don't be afraid to cook these to well done and think about making up the rub from the recipe I used, it is special in my opinion!!!

How do you prepare they?
Most of the time I marinade, but from time to time just salt and black pepper.
Ribs are cooked hot and fast using a 22" kettle and a vortex. With the larger diameter facing up.

Attachments

• 07C5498C-BFCE-470D-AA20-FD30F0345C41.jpeg
    07C5498C-BFCE-470D-AA20-FD30F0345C41.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5109B95A-3E17-42DF-9435-46527A0DF713.jpeg
    5109B95A-3E17-42DF-9435-46527A0DF713.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 11

Back