My Genesis 3000 score

Chris_Arocha

On Memorial Day weekend I picked up this Genesis 3000 from someone who bought it as a package deal in an estate clear out.

IMG_20210530_174941.jpg

A previous owner accessorized it with a rotisserie, but I didn't get the motor. It also came with a factory cover in great shape. Best of all, it has a set of RCPlanebuyer's grills, and they cleaned right up!

ad_pic_01.jpg

IMG_20210530_175032.jpg

It doesn't seem to have had much use, and I only needed to replace the regulator which was a quick release type that doesn't seem to be common anymore. I grabbed a pack of drip trays and a tank cover, and spent a few evenings replacing some of the hardware with stainless equivalents and cleaning it up.

When I fired it up initally, I noticed that the front burner had a bigger flame on low than on medium, so I had to clean up a valve that had too much grease in it, plugging the medium orifice.

IMG_20210605_144201.jpg

Here's the end result:

IMG_20210605_151745.jpg

IMG_20210605_151813.jpg

IMG_20210605_151828.jpg

It's not perfect, but pretty clean for a 22 year old grill. I haven't touched the wood yet, but will probably try to do something to seal the original slats, it's going to see some rain on my patio, and the vented cover will let some of that get through.

Wow, that is a sweet acquisition. I imagine you paid something for it. If you don't mind, it would be interesting to know how much you stole it for. If that grill wasn't restored once already, it is one of the best looking used Silver B/C grills I have seen.

The seller was asking $300 for it, which is pretty optimistic in this area, especially considering that it was dirty. I had just bought a late model Spirit for $100 the previous week, and I wasn't planning to sell it, but when the Genesis came up, I listed it and got an offer for $300 right away, so I didn't hammer the Genesis seller too hard, ended up getting it for $250. I might have squeezed them a little harder, but I really wanted it. Figuring in the profit from the Spirit minus the parts I needed for both, I'm in this one for $163. I'm definitely planning to keep this one!

Beautiful grill, I love the 3000's. The original wood slats look brand new. Did you get a look at the serial number to get an exact age of the grill?

A Genesis 3000 that looks that well taken care of and with the addition of the RCPlanebuyer's grates, makes you wonder if the previous owner was a forum member?

Wouldn't they have gotten Durawood by 99?
Beats me, you guys are the experts here. For all I know, this grill may have been restored/customized (maybe the tables were swapped out?) but it really looks like a low-mileage original to me. I don't see anything that was repaired or repainted, and there was minimal soot & grease accumulation.

Back