My first WSM Cook

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
As some of you know I sold my Traeger pellet cooker and got me a Weber Smokey Mtn. Fired it up for the first time Sunday (5/30/10) and cooked a 10lb pork butt for a family gathering. Wow! The WSM is amazing. This is the real deal. I now must pay homage to all you stick burners out there and apologize for thinking you were crazy for not going with pellets. I've seen the light!

Charcoal and wood! This is the flavor I was always trying to achieve with my Traeger, but never could quite get there. Call me weird, but I've found that there's just something about starting the fire yourself that brings out my cave-man side. Thanks to Dollar Bill of RMBBQA for loaning me his WSM back in March to test drive. It won me over. Lord, forgive me - I've seen the light!!! And I'm home to stay.

I opened a new 18lb bag of Kingsford and put about 25 coals in my chimney and poured the rest of the bag in my 22.5 cooker. Dropped in some hickory and the lit coals. Put a gallon of hot water in my foiled water pan. All vents wide open. When temp got to around 200 I closed the bottom vents to about 50%. WSM rose to and hung in all day between 255-270. Added a couple of liters of hot water twice. Pork Butt was ready in 10 hours. Loved it. Love my WSM!

There must be something to those WSM thingies!!!!!
icon_cool.gif

Glad you enjoyed yours, I like mine.

Back