My first WSM cook....babybacks,,,,

Costas C.

TVWBB Member
Hey all, decided to fired up my new WSM 22.5 yesterday.
IMAG0485.jpg

Went to Costco and got some baby backs. Tried to loosely follow the BRITU recipe...made a few mistakes along the way.

First off, although I don't think these were enhanced/processed ribs, the membrane was removed already.

Anyways, here's the ribs about an hour after rub was applied:
IMAG0490.jpg

Since this was my first time, I followed what the BRITU directions said, so first I poured a chimney full of LIT coals into the ring, and on top of that I poured another chimney full of UNLIT coals along with 3 pcs of fist sized smoke wood.
IMAG0491.jpg

While I now understand that this isn't the "minion" method that most follow, I wanted to try and follow the directions a bit.
I would later on realize that I used the wrong wood though, accidentally grabbing a bag of mesquite instead of applewood, cherry, or oak.

I assembled the smoker, and added about 2 gallons of water in the pan, and let her rise up to temps. Bonehead me, I wasn't watching that closely, and overshot the mark, stopping it at about 290 on the lid thermo. Messed with the venting a bit and got it back down to around 250, and put the ribs on the top rack.
The temps hovered between 230 and 250 for the next 2-3 hours.

At 3 hours I decided to foil 2 of the racks, and leave the third unfoiled.

I bumped up the temps to 275, and left them in for another 45 minutes, and took them out of the foil and brushed some Sweet Baby ray's and honey mixture on them for the final 45.

During the last 1.5 hours of the cook it was lightly raining but the skies were darkening and you could hear a major storm coming, so I had to push the smoker close to the house, under the second floor overhang.

IMAG0496.jpg

5 minutes after I took them off, the skies really opened up. By my estimation, we got about 1.5 " of rain in a 45 minutes.

Anyways, here are the ribs:
IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

For my first try at smoking, I think it was passable. The meat was tender, would pull cleanly off, but was not FOTB, or mush. There was decent bark on the the unfoiled rack (I think I'm going unfoiled from now on).
There was smoke flavor, but just not the right kind.
I will definitely switch to different smoking wood next time.

The fuel seemed to last the entire time, so I had no issues there, but I will use the minion method next time as well.

Other than that, are there any glaring mistakes that you guys see?

Thanks!!!

Costas,

No glaring mistakes at all, just a great first effort, much better than mine. I tried chicken breasts, used way too much wood, and ended up with inedible leather. Kudos to you!

If you can get some pecan wood I highly recommend it. It's less bold than hickory with similar flavors. Also, I'm not a foiler by nature, but I'm not averse to using it if I have to. It's a tool or method that has purposes. I have learned that time and temp control take care of almost everything. I know you'll get there; just continue to learn here and don't get frustrated with any less than stellar outcomes. Keep up the great work!

Look good. You'll learn what you like by trying different methods. I like mesquite but lots of people don't.

Only thing I might suggest is resizing your pics a bit for those of us with smaller monitors.

Thanks guys. I definitely think I'm going no-foil next time. Yes, that was my absolute first attempt at it. I usually go indirect on my gasser, but that's just steaks.

Costco is going to be the death of me...when I went in for the baby backs, I also picked up a cryopack of st. louis spares, one of those morton's tri-tips, and a bunch of steaks (so my gasser doesn't feel left out!) I probably could've spent three times as much as i did, but tried to show some restraint! They don't seem to sell brisket or pork butt there, unless its called something else.

Sorry about the pic size! I uploaded them to photobucket, and I "assumed" that they were sized smaller.

BTW, had a half rack for lunch today, I think it was better than yesterday!

Nice work Costas! They look fantastic. I just cooked my first ribs the other day as well. I noticed the smoke flavor quite a bit more eating leftovers the next day, as opposed to right off the smoker. Is that typical? I admittedly had a few cocktails in me the day I smoked them so that may have impacted my taste buds :0)

They look really good. Yes, Costco BB usually have the membrane removed

Again, great looking first cook

Originally posted by Ryan Foote:
Nice work Costas! They look fantastic. I just cooked my first ribs the other day as well. I noticed the smoke flavor quite a bit more eating leftovers the next day, as opposed to right off the smoker. Is that typical? I admittedly had a few cocktails in me the day I smoked them so that may have impacted my taste buds :0)

Things always taste better to me the next day, probably because the senses are dulled from the smoke inhaled during the cook.

They look awesome, great job. Was the rack you didn't foil as tender, and pulled off the bone as well as they ones you did in foil? Great job again.

Originally posted by Joshua Banas:
They look awesome, great job. Was the rack you didn't foil as tender, and pulled off the bone as well as they ones you did in foil? Great job again.

I thought it was, but there was a bit more bark, which is the way I like it.

Looks good to me man, nicely done on your first try! I'm debating on ribs or a pork butt for my first cook next weekend.

Not sure if you've got an Academy Sports around but I just left there with a big bag of Pecan and Hickory chunks for $4.49 a piece.

Costas, great looking ribs! Really Nice Work!!
Apple wood, i believe, is thee wood to use for pork ribs... add cherry or pecan too. I think mesq is too strong for pork, butt what do i know...?
i also believe using the BRITU way is too complicated and too time consuming with mediocre results. I've done them enough to believe BRITU is just a gimmick.
with a steady temp at 225 to 275ºF, i simply put the ribs on and check on them after four hours.
that's just my way, for what it's worth.

Again, VeryNiceRibs!

Thanks again to everyone for the props....

Grabbed some applewood chunks from HD a week ago. Going to probably try spares this weekend. Wonder if the same run would be good for spares too. (Don't see why it wouldn't......but hey, I'm new...)

Back